Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Friends,

I have a 1992 500SEL. This car has been in my family since 1999 but now it's my turn to take it. It's been garaged for about 4 months and seems to work fine with the exception of these problems. I will post in order of importance to least. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated!

1.) The passanger side front signal and rear signal does not blink. When activated, the green right turn arrow blinks super fast. Also, the interior ergonomics and dash lights NO longer turn on. I took out the bulb out of the front passenger turn signal socket because it stayed on and wouldn't shut off, even when the car was running. The ODDest part of this is that when the bulb was there, I activated the right turn signal and not only did the blinking return to normal speed but the ENTIRE interior dash lights and ergonomic cluster would blink WITH the blinker. This problem started like this:

I returned home one day and shut off the car. 1 to 2 seconds later, the interior "green" turn signal turned on along with the outside indicators. I engaged the car's auxillary..the problem went away. Took the key out and the lights came back on. I ended up having to remove the bulbs so they wouldn't drain my battery. The next morning, I return and hook up the bulbs...however this time, I turned the car on and the green indicator in the interior and the lights outside remained ON the whole drive to work. When I returned after work, they wouldn't come on for anything. Nothing else seemed to be wrong. The next morning, I realized that my interior lights were GONE, I turned the right signal lights on and they flashed at normal speed but with the interior dash lights. Other than that, the ergonomic cluster lights or interior lights would not come on. (keep in mind I do not mean map lights or anything like that, I am just talking about the dash lights).

IS THIS PROBLEM RELATED TO THE MULTIFUNCTIONAL CONTROL SWITCH THAT CONTROLS THE HAZARD, SIGNAL LIGHTS, REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER, AND WIPERS? PART NUMBER: 140.820.26.26??

This turned out to be a longer post than I thought so I'll just restart a new thread for my other inquiries. Thank you to ALL.

Ryan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Brett. I'm holding that part in my hand as we speak....I wonder how to check it. I know it's only $370 to replace but $370 is $370 to just blow. I already purchased an engine wire harness and replaced it when it ended up being in great condition, Part Number: 140.540.95.05.

all connections seem to look great. I don't know. I'll be in the engine bay for a bit. Please send replies if you know what it may be.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
If you search "combination relay," I'm sure you'll find many more threads describing people's experiences. Symptoms similar to yours.

Brett

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brett, or anybody else that may know the answer,

I have replaced the combination control relay, part number: 140.540.26.26 and it was NOT the problem. It is doing the same thing. If this information helps...even when the control unit relay is not connected, my passenger side front and rear signal lights are still out. They do not work for anything. When I connect the control relay back on...the driver side (left) side blinks normally and the passenger (right) side blinks at an increased rate. This is WITHOUT the front passenger side buld OUT of the socket. When I install the bulb the blink is normal but then ALL the lights on the rear passenger side (ie: brake light, signal light) all blink with the signal ALL TOGETHER along with the interior dash lights blinking with the right turn signal. The left works properly. My dash lights are still OFF when I activate the headlights or turn signals, UNLESS the front bulb is installed then the interior dash lights and all rear bulbs on passenger side blink with the blinker.

Tell me, if this is NOT strange?? I thought it was the control unit but it is not.

HELP, What can I do besides shelling out $400 - 500 to a shop to spend hours finding out the source of the problem?

***ATTACHED IS THE CONTROL UNIT i AM REFERRING TO THAT i CHANGED OUT***

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 S550 4Matic,1986 560SEL, 1986 560SEL, 1992 500SEL, 1999 S500
474 Posts
When multiple light bulb filaments light simultaneously and dimmer than normal, or slower than normal as you describe, this is a good sign that the ground to the light assembly is bad. It may be broken or just corroded. There is usually a ring terminal screwed to the body sheet metal near the bulbs. Check along the harness. What can happen is since the normal ground path is bad the current for the light will travel through another filament (which is connected to the same ground point, such as brake or tail light) and find another ground point, such as the opposite side light assembly. This may be hard to picture but the current can actually run through up to three light bulbs before it connects to ground. This can cause the voltage to be 1/3 of normal at the bulb. If you have ever seen the car in front of you (with lights on) put on the breaks and one light goes dim this is the problem. Maybe this is a piece to to your puzzel.

·
Registered
Artic White 1995 S420
366 Posts
Sorry a little of topic How much would a wiring harness be to replace and could I do it myself?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts