Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my '99 E320 for about a year now, and it is a JEWEL. I do have one reoccuring problem with it, that I am going to have to get to the bottom of. Every few weeks the windows won't go down, the seat adjuster will be dead, the turn signals are dead, windshield wiper is dead, etc. Then out of nowhere, they all come back......for a few days. Then I lose the functions again. Because they come and go, I know it is not a fuse. Here is the big question; Because it appears that there is a loose contact that is causing this, WHERE do I look? I should preface all of this by saying that I am a female, and am not all that familiar with where things are on the car, so you will need to be specific in giving directions to me. I plan on taking the car in for a complete servicing shortly, but I would love to get to the bottom of this electrical problem myself. If I take it to the dealer and tell him this problem, no doubt they will try to sell me a complete electrical harness. lol. Help!

·
Registered
2000 E320
183 Posts
How old is your battery? Weak batteries tend to create intermittent problems. You can get your battery checked at many shops for free. If its remaining life span is short, I would just replace it and see if your problems are mysteriously gone!

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
No wipers and turn signals could be a safety issue. You have to find what is common with all of those circuits like a main ground wire. There are grounding lugs behind the dash that you may want to tighten up. Pull the instrument cluster and check the one in the upper left corner of the firewall. The dealership will at least have a circuit diagram to help locate the fault.

·
Registered
1999 E320 Wagon
367 Posts
It might also be a feeder wire (positive) to the fuse bus. This could be dangerous. It might over heat and cause a fire. Check your fuse block lists to see if all your problems are common to a single fuse block.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well heck. It would not be the battery, because this has intermittently been going on for a year. I catch check the cluster behind the dash, because I would not begin to know how to pull off the dash.
It is not a fuse, because there are way too many functions that don't operate at the same time, for it to be one fuse.

I was hoping that E-Klasse would have the easy answer to this. Looks like I will have to throw myself to the mercy of the dealership.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
Is your alternator stock OEM? Sometimes issues with alternators could affect electrical systems. For example, Has anyone else noticed that current Nissans(2000-2010) all either have a headlight burned out or internal electrical problems? I hear from a source at a nissan dealership that, It's because of the amperage emitted is either too high or too low for systems to handle, causing it to go haywire.

·
Registered
1999 E300 Turbodiesel
463 Posts
I have had my '99 E320 for about a year now, and it is a JEWEL. I do have one reoccuring problem with it, that I am going to have to get to the bottom of. Every few weeks the windows won't go down, the seat adjuster will be dead, the turn signals are dead, windshield wiper is dead, etc. Then out of nowhere, they all come back......for a few days. Then I lose the functions again. Because they come and go, I know it is not a fuse. Here is the big question; Because it appears that there is a loose contact that is causing this, WHERE do I look? I should preface all of this by saying that I am a female, and am not all that familiar with where things are on the car, so you will need to be specific in giving directions to me. I plan on taking the car in for a complete servicing shortly, but I would love to get to the bottom of this electrical problem myself. If I take it to the dealer and tell him this problem, no doubt they will try to sell me a complete electrical harness. lol. Help!
Good afternoon,

I am a new owner of a 1999 300TD that spent 11 years in the NE with salt, snow and all sorts of crap put on the roads.

When I took ownership in Florida one of the first things I noticed was the way and where Mercedes bundles many ground wires. To my suprise most grounds were a mound of rust.

At some point I will have to either attempt to clean the grounds or reground the rusted bundles or I believe that I will have simular intermittent electrical outages.

Where is all this going-----The bad news is that the Stealers will LOVE you because of all the time they will be able to charge for electrical diagnosis. I don't see a simple quick fix, except I believe that your problems are being caused by bad or loose grounds.

To locate the bundeled ground locations you will need a wiring diagram. I don't want to sound sexist, but if I confronted my well educated non engineer daughter with a simular electrical problem, she would call the experts.

You may want to check the forums list of recommended indies for your state and go see one or two of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts