Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just can beleive the S&$t wiring jobs I have had to deal with.

Basically, if you have wiring work to do on your vehicle, be sure you know how to do it before you begin.

In my Doka, i had a small electrical fire due to the previous owners crap complete rewire of the truck. It took along time for me to rewire it correctly. I pulled more than 20FT of excess wiring out of that truck before I was done. The PO didnt really understand automotive wiring concepts.

Today, I finally got around to repairing another dangerous issue in one of my new trucks. The oil temp gauge had an incorrect clamp holding it in that caused a short on the back of the gauge. This caused a fusable link in the gauge to blow which I had to diagnose and repair. It also caused more fusable links in a funky wiring plug to blow causing many other failures in the truck. In the process of fixing these items, I found many crimp connectors that fell apart in my hands. I also found more than 4ft of excess wire in the new circuits the PO had created. Along with all that, every inch of wire used to make these new circuits was orange.

So a few tips

If you must use crimp connectors, make sure you are familiar with how to crimp

Do not use those cute little blue bridge connectors for any reason

Always use proper automotive wiring not that crap from Radio Shack

Always use multi colored wire to indicate positive and negative with proper colors
even if all you have is red and black

Do not create a completly new circuit for every device, you can group certain items together if properly fused

Do not used those inline glass fuse holders, use exisiting fuses or expand your fuse block

If you can use solder and black shrink wrap for all splices and connections, USE IT.

Do not use miles of electrical tape to wrap up wire looms down their full length

Do not use more wire than you need to make the distance plus an inch or two. Wrapping up excess wire is unacceptable, Cut it out and re connect.

An alternate to crimping connectors is to solder the same crimp conn. onto the wire and then heat shrink the joint to insulate

If you are going to solder, Tin both parts before making the conn. This insures solid conn.

I could keep going, but I will give it a break for now.

Others feel free to add to the wiring dos and donts list.

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,621 Posts
Thats it?.................. Don't forget to add , don't use an old orange extension cord for wiring. Or Romex as well! I have found both of these as well as household outlets wired into a few mogs!!!

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's pretty shamefull. Seriously. Romex, extension cords, house plugs. I almost can't beleive it.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,113 Posts
I used to work in a stereo place, you know, the kind that puts those big subwoofers in cars that cost more than the car your putting them in..anyway, a Ford mustang came in for insurance once, seems the kid did his own wiring, ran 0 gauge fine wire (expensive stuff I might add) direct from the two batteries under the hood, no fuse, up between the front drivers fender, in through the door hinge, under the kick panel and carpet to the rear of the car. It was in for us to determine if the kids wiring job destroyed the car. Boy did it ever, the door eventually cut through the wire, welding the door shut at the front, started the carpet on fire front to back (smelled real good), and blew both batteries, starting a fire under the hood which melted the hood release cable, so firefighters had to axe through the hood to spray under. Not mog related, but I thought it applied to the subject.

-Trev

Oh, and I guess my 2 cents:

-If your using electrical tape, there's a difference between the .99cent stuff and the $3.00 3M stuff, but the 3M stuff

-Use a DMM (Digital Multimeter) in anything newer with airbags or circuit boards

-Your ground is the most important connection, and multiple grounds can cause ground loops (Again, only important in stereo or digital circumstances)

-Don't use the crimpers that come in the cheap kits if your crimping. But a good set that have the nub to crush the connection

-If your using MY wire Cutters, don't use them to cut anything besides copper wire ;)

-The Relay is your friend, if the factory didn't tie or gang two ignition/constant power/starter/ect wires together its probably for a reason, use a relay, and fuse it.

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
Thats it?.................. Don't forget to add , don't use an old orange extension cord for wiring. Or Romex as well! I have found both of these as well as household outlets wired into a few mogs!!!
Von, the first time I saw the wiring on that truck I gagged. What a shame on a solid 406.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no crimp versions of wire nuts

·
Registered
1984 300GD "G" Wagen, and 1998 Steyr Puch 290GD "G" Van & a 1988 MB Trac 1000
3,310 Posts
A subbie, good guy too, that I worked with ran an old Peugeot 504 diesel pickup, he kept his missis in a new Audi though.
Anyway the glow plug timer packed it in, so yer man ran one heavy guage wire direct from the battery, plus one from the heater plugs, and brought both of them out from below the bonnet( hood) just adjacent to the drivers door, and then took them in past the door pillar, heavy guage stayed bent in shape around the pillar, so when starting from cold, cross the bare ends, count to 30 and turn the key, remembering to uncross the wires at some point.
Simples
and it worked a treat.
He got another twelvemonth outta her at least

·
Registered
1984 300GD "G" Wagen, and 1998 Steyr Puch 290GD "G" Van & a 1988 MB Trac 1000
3,310 Posts
But a starter motor solinoid IS a relay
Yes?:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts