Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995 C220 W202
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I drive a 1995 Mercedes Benz C220 W202.

Problems I have in the car is when I turn the ignition on, my cluster gauges go up and down, cluster lights blinking, and doors lock and unlock randomly. Other electronics work fine like the AC (AC settings don't reset), headlights, and radio (aftermarket Pioneer deck). After I turn the engine on, the clock resets to 1:00, the radio resets to factory settings, and everything is normal. Sometimes the whole cluster won't work at all until after I start the engine. Sometimes the cluster would continue going crazy after a few seconds of starting the engine. Recently, it has been rolling my mileage back to a couple of miles, usually to the last time I started the car.

What I do notice is that the clock would actually work when the car is off, when I turn the ignition on, it would appear that the clock continues from whatever time it was I turned it off to the next time I turn it on, then resets with the cluster's electrical surge. (Like turning the car off at 1:00, turning it on agan after 5 hours and it would be 6:00.) It's not really a major issue that affects my driving/start up/car reliability, but it is annoying with the wrong time and having to change radio settings every time I drive.

Would anyone know how I can try and fix this and does/did anyone have a similar problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Akie.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Akie,

just two ideas -

Maybe it's possible to locate the problem by removing one fuse after the other and turn the ignition on and see what happens in each case?

The second idea: a problem with the wiring harness. (Hopefully not.)
If this is the case: In Germany at least there are private manufacturers who build new wiring harnesses with better plastic materials - for example this here.
Back in the era before 1997 (or so) Mercedes itself used plastic materials of a kind which weren't durable enough, escpecially in a hot environment like the engine area. It seems to be a well known problem of 202s at least before the 1997 modification.
So it might not be the best idea just to use an original Mercedes replacement wiring harness because the non-durable plastics would be present also.

Good luck
Michael

·
Registered
1995 C220 W202
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Akie,

just two ideas -

Maybe it's possible to locate the problem by removing one fuse after the other and turn the ignition on and see what happens in each case?

The second idea: a problem with the wiring harness. (Hopefully not.)
If this is the case: In Germany at least there are private manufacturers who build new wiring harnesses with better plastic materials - for example this here.
Back in the era before 1997 (or so) Mercedes itself used plastic materials of a kind which weren't durable enough, escpecially in a hot environment like the engine area. It seems to be a well known problem of 202s at least before the 1997 modification.
So it might not be the best idea just to use an original Mercedes replacement wiring harness because the non-durable plastics would be present also.

Good luck
Michael
I figured it would be a bad ground or a connection issue in the wiring harness. I'll try the fuse thing tomorrow and see if anything changes.
Do you think they'd be able to ship me a wiring harness to the US?
Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I suppose you might find it out by asking them at [email protected] (I'm sure they will speak English) :) - by the way, they are not the only manufacturer in Germany who makes stuff like this. There are even some more. Maybe there are some of them in the US, too ?

I must admit that I myself do not yet know the guys from kabelbaumschule - fortunately my 202 has been working up to now. But several times I have learned that they seem to do a very good job.

Michael

1 - 4 of 4 Posts