Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi how is it going soo I have a problem on my w123 200 1984 basically when I press the horn my wipers go off so it's really not good for everybody including me getting bothered by it and also my glass is getting scratched so any help 馃槉

Registered
1983 240d
Well can't say I know exactly where to look next. Perhaps the combo switch, as suggested above by Southern Comfort. What happens when you start your wipers? Hopefully not the horn. I've had my own electrical gremlins recently, and I can sympathize. Not always easy to track down the source of the problem. Were it me, I'd start at the 'button' and methodically move from there through the wiring to the horns themselves.

The horns are under the front bumper, easy to access. The wires just hang there and I can imagine that they are fairly easy to damage. There's also a ground there. Don't know that you will find a problem there, but might be worth investigating.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Well can't say I know exactly where to look next. Perhaps the combo switch, as suggested above by Southern Comfort. What happens when you start your wipers? Hopefully not the horn. I've had my own electrical gremlins recently, and I can sympathize. Not always easy to track down the source of the problem. Were it me, I'd start at the 'button' and methodically move from there through the wiring to the horns themselves.

The horns are under the front bumper, easy to access. The wires just hang there and I can imagine that they are fairly easy to damage. There's also a ground there. Don't know that you will find a problem there, but might be worth investigating.

Well no wipers work fine it only happen when I press the horn so yeah well keep digging 鈽

Registered
1983 240d
As a way of isolating the problem slightly, you could disconnect one horn, and then the other, to see if it relates only to one or to both. It might help you to narrow down where in the wiring to look (or maybe not help at all, at least it's easy to try). Anyways just a thought.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
As a way of isolating the problem slightly, you could disconnect one horn, and then the other, to see if it relates only to one or to both. It might help you to narrow down where in the wiring to look (or maybe not help at all, at least it's easy to try). Anyways just a thought.
Well the problem is that I'm running 3 pairs of horns 馃樁

Registered
1983 240d
Even more reason to try isolating the problem area. Are all horns on the same fuse? It sounds like maybe you have some aftermarket horns. If you installed them, then you have a good head start tracing the wiring. If not then tracing the aftermarket wiring to find a bad splice, etc. would be a good place to continue your search.

Registered
1980 280E Sedan
I agree with Beige240d. This changes the possibilities somewhat. Personally I'd disconnect all the aftermarket horns and get the wiring back to stock. If that cures the problem you can start over with the extra horns if you really need them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Even more reason to try isolating the problem area. Are all horns on the same fuse? It sounds like maybe you have some aftermarket horns. If you installed them, then you have a good head start tracing the wiring. If not then tracing the aftermarket wiring to find a bad splice, etc. would be a good place to continue your search.
Well to be honest the problem started waaaaay before the aftermarket horns

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with Beige240d. This changes the possibilities somewhat. Personally I'd disconnect all the aftermarket horns and get the wiring back to stock. If that cures the problem you can start over with the extra horns if you really need them.
The problem started before ok installed them so I dont think there the problem

1 - 13 of 13 Posts