Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thanks for those who gave input on my squeal from the serpentine belt. Good news is that it wasn't a bad fan clutch or anyghint too expensive, just a belt tensioner. This is on my 92 300 TE with 124,000 miles.

Now, a new question. I have developed recently a strange electrical issue. I get a buzz like an electronic alarm, but not as loud as lights on or selt belt alarm from left hand side of dash, and the gas guage, oil and other electtronic parts of cluster don't work. This stops now and again intermittently and then guage cluster work. When you put on your turn signal the noise stops until the turn signal or emergency lights are turned off.

I took it to my independent shop that works on European cars and they can't figure it out. Called it some kind of "feedback" and said it wasn't dangerous to car to drive it. They said it wasn't a turn signal relay.

Any thoughts? I'll probably be taking it to the dealer soon. Don't want to damage anything by driving it if this is going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
MB W124 300D 1986
25 Posts
My guess would be either a bad grounding of the dashboard or a bad fuse.

I have had a blown fuse that made contact as long as the load was small, but it disconnected when the current increased. Try to turn all the fuses a few degrees, and replace them if any looks suspicious.

·
Registered
2013 E350 sedan, 2013 E350 cab, 1993 400E sold,1999 ML320
2,436 Posts
Second that

Spin or replace your fuses and clean ground behind cluster. Most gremlins are fixed by that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks "Snow" and Macdrone

I truly appreciate the replies, especially since you were both right. I replaced one fuse that had a hairline crack only visible when I took it off, and then it came apart. That fixed everything. My independent shop was unable to fix this issue and I wouldn't have thought that the problem would have come from a bad fuse on my own intuition. There's nothing like learning from other peoples experience. (OPE). Thanks very much to you and the others on this forum who shared their ideas. The vehicle is greatly reliable otherwise, and now much quieter inside.

Doc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts