Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this question has come up before, but I'm new here...
Car: '87 300D 360K miles.
Problem: loss of electrical power to instruments; tach, oil, temp, battery, no power to glow plug relay and passenger mirror remote. Buzzing coming from relay located in compartment behind fuses.
History: 3 weeks ago sunroof opened but wouldn't close (teenage daughter), detected no power coming to SR switch near overhead light (3" snow forcasted for next day), located a keyed power source near OH light and jumpered wire to SR switch, temporary fix worked well. Three days ago, closing SR, SR stopped working as well as all instruments on dash, relay started buzzing. Replaced relay, still buzzing. Removing fuse number 6 stops buzzing and glow plugs fire up. Dash stays dead. Odd note: with fuse in, buzzing stops when turn signals or emergency flashers are turned on. Have checked as much as possible for improper grounding, lose wires, etc. 'Jump' wire was removed as well. I have an electrical schematics but can't locate everything on diagram. Can you help me, or is she a goner? Car runs well, even now, but with no dash instruments.

·
Registered
83 300CD, 07 ML320 CDI, 04 WRX, 86 300D (totalled by my neighbor), 85 300D (sold)
876 Posts
In my 87 300D, that buzzing sound reminds me that the headlights are still on when you open the door.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I stated, this noise is coming from a relay just behind the fuse panel. Although the lights on/keys in ignition is annoying, it doesn't compare to the quiet but pesty buzzing from the relay.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts