Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sort of lbs are people running on their sbu unimogs?
Im looking at a 17000 lb electric winch on my u1300L tray back (no camper on the back so will be around the 5t mark)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If your going for that kind've set up (15000lb and above) I'd look very closely at all electric winches especially Warn....I wasn't too impressed by the quality of the M15000 winches...ie motor assembly, reduction assembly...lack of grease ect. It was obvious these internal parts weren't made in the USA....or at least top quality...looked like typical Chinese junk...

·
Registered
U500 with Unicat camper
798 Posts
Do you have a hydraulic pump?
If so I'd look seriously at hydraulic winches.
I have a 20000 lb DP AJ20 on the front and a 15000 lb Superwinch on the rear.

Charlie

·
Registered
Unimog U1300L Year unknown, but it has a Bundesheer rebuild plate dated 96
554 Posts
I have a 7.5 Ton Front mounted 24V Superwinch.....it has pulled my Laden U1300L ( 2-3 Tons of wood) up steep banks out of forests...not fast but sure.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,037 Posts
I have the Warn. It is a perfectly fine winch. I would not hesitate to recommend the Warn. Mine has been heavily used and is in perfect working order. Sounds like the Chinese got this one right. Made in America is overrated! Yeah I said it!!!!

·
Registered
UNIMOG U 1300L, 1987, OM 366A, Claas O/D, working gears,
46 Posts
I have the Warn. It is a perfectly fine winch. I would not hesitate to recommend the Warn. Mine has been heavily used and is in perfect working order. Sounds like the Chinese got this one right. Made in America is overrated! Yeah I said it!!!!
I have a Superwinch 18 000#, 24 V in front of my U1300L and I was not overly impressed by it's performance. As a matter of fact, I stalled it trying to pull up a Dodge Durango that had slipped into a steep ditch (page 101 of the You Tube tread, I think). I had to use a pulley to double up the cable. I was expecting a little more performance from this winch..l One other issue : I had to go to the dealer to have the clutch control fixed. It seems that the combinaison of steel and aluminum construction and road salt resulted in a frozen clutch contol mechanism after less than one year (it seems to be a common problem)

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,267 Posts
Friend of mine has 2 severe duty 18k warn's on his SBU, one front, on back, and is very impressed with them, he's done a few self recoveries and said they preform excellent.

·
Registered
UNIMOG U 1300L, 1987, OM 366A, Claas O/D, working gears,
46 Posts
I have a Superwinch 18 000#, 24 V in front of my U1300L and I was not overly impressed by it's performance. As a matter of fact, I stalled it trying to pull up a Dodge Durango that had slipped into a steep ditch (page 101 of the You Tube tread, I think). I had to use a pulley to double up the cable. I was expecting a little more performance from this winch..l One other issue : I had to go to the dealer to have the clutch control fixed. It seems that the combinaison of steel and aluminum construction and road salt resulted in a frozen clutch contol mechanism after less than one year (it seems to be a common problem)
To be honest, I was pulling with the top layer of cable on the drum. The bottom layer would certainly have been stronger, but remember that my cluth control lever was stuck in the «engaged» position. Powering out that cable was slow.....My Mog has a Claas, so no PTO, but I'm planning on adding a hydraulic pump on the engine and a 20 000# hydraulic winch up front. I would then move the electric winch in the back :). And yes, you can get a Mog stuck.....

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes Benz U1300L OM366, fast axles
244 Posts
I think it's cute how everyone that has an Warn Industrial series 18 winch thinks its the same as a Warn Military and Sever Duty 18. Yes the Military and Sever Duty 18 says Industrial 18 on the motor but the internals are completely different. Mainly the brake mechanism.

Difference in cost is 1800$ for Industrial 18 and 5000$-7000$ depending how your Military and Severe Duty winch is ordered and who you get it from.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,267 Posts
I never said I thought my Severe duty 18 was the same as the Military version, I know they are quite different, Nor did I see anyone making claims that they were the same winch. When I bought mine, I had a friend buy a Military CARC coated version, with the Potted motor, we discussed in length the differences between the two, and the advantages and disadvantages of both.

I have another friend with two severe duty, industrial, non-military frame mount, 77232 model, same model as I have, are $3,101.61 new, WITHOUT the cable, or cable tensioner, or accessories, new. Which we bought, NOS from ebay, for $899+shipping, WITH cable, control, tensioner, and accessories. No, the motor's are not potted, which makes them more repairable, but less water resistant. He's had his buried in much, submerged in water, and they have yet to fail him.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts