Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E200 & 2005 Vauxhall Astra
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 2nd hand 1995 E200 Auto. We had to jump start with cables and after a 20 mile drive home the battery was still flat and will not turn the car over. Think it needs an overnight electrical charge.

My problems are

1. The ABS Lights came on when i got home. Is this due to Lack of power in battery. IE Below 10 volt.

2. The Electric Windows do not work at all. There is no noise as if the motors are trying to work and its both driver and passenger. Before i purchased the car, they did work fine. Could this be down to lack or power too.

Cheers for all your assistance.

·
Registered
Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
1,063 Posts
Many equipment will not work properly when the battery voltage is too low.

What is the total mileage on the car? The alternator service life should be about 100K miles. After that, it may need new brushes. If the car mileage is much below 100K, some other problem may exists in the electrical system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
E200 Electric Problems

Hi. Thanks for the info. I did not think it would be both electric window motors.

the Millage is 114k. I will get the alternator checked out and either overnight charge the batery or just replace it.

Cheers Fellow Benzies.

Martin

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,425 Posts
beddism said:
Hi. Thanks for the info. I did not think it would be both electric window motors.

the Millage is 114k. I will get the alternator checked out and either overnight charge the batery or just replace it.

Cheers Fellow Benzies.

Martin
I guess the previous comments were not about the window regulators but the alternator/charging regulator.

10 V battery voltage anyway means a big problem. The car has a capability to switch off electricity consumers to save battery power to the essential when the battery voltage drops. Seat heating, window heaters and power windows all likely being those that get switched off.

Fix the low battery voltage issue and you should get rid of many, hopefully all other problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
electric problem

My main concern was. Even after the car had been jump started and whilst driving home, whilst the car was running, the electric windows still did not work. I guess the battery was either not taking charge or even after a 20 mile run, could the battery so weak it closed off systems.

The moment i arrived home and turned off the engine and tried to re-start, nothing. I think a new battery is in order !!

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,425 Posts
beddism said:
My main concern was. Even after the car had been jump started and whilst driving home, whilst the car was running, the electric windows still did not work. I guess the battery was either not taking charge or even after a 20 mile run, could the battery so weak it closed off systems.

The moment i arrived home and turned off the engine and tried to re-start, nothing. I think a new battery is in order !!
As indicated by previous posts, it might not be the battery only. Actually it looks like there is an issue with the alternator/regulator if the battery voltage does not become normal during a 20 mile trip.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,354 Posts
If the car run after jump, that would indicate that alternator works.
I would think that old battery is shorten and is draining the power from the system.
Enough voltage to run the engine but not enough to operate window modules.
Put new battery and than post the results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
electric Power Issue

Well i purchased a new battery and the car now starts normally.

however.

1. The ABS Lights in still staying on. (Going to get Mb to check out)

2. The electric windows still not working.

When i press the button for the windows, you can hear a click which seems to be coming from the rear seats, n/s. The Car only has electric windows in the front.

anyone got any ideas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts