Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 500SE, 1972 280SE
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that many cars like Mustangs have fan clutches that owners replace with electric ones. Is this something that our 126s could benefit from?

I'm just noticing that sitting at idle, my temp gauge seems to ride a little higher (about halfway between the 80 and the next mark) while at speed, it remains right above the 80 mark.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Several people on this forum have electric fans fitted, i beleive 'superchargedsec' can give you the details.

It should work better and provide less parasitic drag, but electric fans are usually noisier.

·
Registered
2006 500SE, 1972 280SE
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are already electric fans in the front of the radiator... would you remove the clutch fan and replace the electric ones with different ones or 2) remove the clutch fan and put an electric fan behind the radiator?

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
The flex-a-lite FLX-210 is a perfect fit for the 560. I found that my car ran cooler with the electric fans than it did with the belt driven fan. The belt driven fan is more reliable than an electric fan. Not that the electric fan is not reliable but a manual fan will always be more reliable.

With the electric fan, I could do back to back dyno runs and the car would not get hot but the car got very hot with the belt driven fan. Yes, the fan clutch was working perfectly on the belt driven one. I have had great success with the electric fan.

There are some on summitracing.com that move more air but they are also more expensive. The FLX-210 works great on my car even with the 10+ psi of boost that I'm running.

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
well im running an electric fan setup too..

two 12inch high power fans each rated for 2400CFM.. powered by dual speed bosch motors..i hooked them up with the electrical system of aux fan via 50A relay and seprate fuses.. they turn on automatically at 65C at lower speed.. and shift to higher speeds if coolant temp exceeds 85C or AC has been turned on

Earlier it was a 16 inch dual speed fan with a matching size radiator from chrysler but too much modifications destroyed the clean stock look plus the 16inch fan sucked horrible amount of power!!

while they make a lot of noise..i feel my engine sounds has smoothen up and temps dont hog up too much in day time with air condition

overall electrical fan perform better if the right capacity ones are fitted.. the improved performance is more visible when stuck in traffic jam with AC on..

the downside is.. they suck lot of electrical power.. so make sure to upgrade the alternator, battery.. some wiring and stuff.. then if the fan motor is blown or something messed up the electrical system.. u cant drive anymore..

http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page16.html

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/electric-fans.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts