Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1967 404 Unimog (Belgian), 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there replaced the belt driven fan in their 404 with an electric fan on the radiator? It seems like an obvious thing to try, but I've not been able to find any info about it.

The goal is to improve fuel economy and power. It seems like driving that fan at full speed all the time is a big waste. Especially at 50-55 mph.

Anyone tried this or got an idea about it? Thanks. [:)]

·
Registered
'65 404
163 Posts
I had a dc fan on my 404 but after rebuilding the clutch I removed it and replaced it with the stock unit. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference between the two power wise. My temp is the same, however I don't take my truck on too many long distant rides. Try running the mech. fan without the belt and pulley. Mine spins without and seems to keep the temp @ 80-90 degrees.

Regards,

C. Forrest

·
Registered
1967 404 Unimog (Belgian), 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Surprised to hear that it didn't improve things. My fuel milage is horrible on the highway (8-8.5 mpg). I was hoping this would improve it. [:(]

·
Registered
'65 404
163 Posts
DB,

Maybe a carb tunning might help. See wwww.mogstink.com for help with rebuilding a p. zenith carb for the 404. Rejetting might improve things as well. Your elevation could also be a factor...8-10 mpg, not terrible for tractor. A nice feature of an electric fan is the ability to cool with out the motor running.

Regards,

Cary-out

·
Registered
404.s x VW-Lt
189 Posts
How about a visco coupled Fan? That one will turn in action when the visco heats up. Its driven by the timing belt.

I have one in my ford transit fan. One time the bearing of the visco blocked and the difference in ''free' spinning on visco and full spinning with blocked bearing were very big. With full spinning the van of me drove 10km at top slower as with good working fan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts