Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 190E 2.6 which has a new problem. First - I have NO overheating problem. BUT, the two electric auxiliary fans have decided to come on whenever you drive the car. For example, I started the car on a cool morning and the fasn started and continued to stay on all the time - even when the key is removed from the ignition. After the car was stopped for ~3 hours and the fans were still whirring away, I disconnected the 2 plugs that power them, so that the battery didn't completely discharge.

Where is the thermostat/switch to fix this problem. Or is there another solution?

Thanks!

·
Registered
291 Posts
There are two resons the fans will run and one is temp. and the other is high presure in the a/c system.

Do a search for fan switch. The temp one is on the front of the head on the same side as the power steering pump. The second one is by the A/C reciever dryer located on one of the lines. Its bye the ign. coil and behind the left headlamp on North Amarican models.

If you want to see a pic of one so you will know what to look for just go here and search like you are going to buy that part and look at the pic to see the color.

http://www.alloemautoparts.com/

There is a high and low fan speed relay that I don't know the location of but start with unpluging the switches to see if its as easy as just a switch. Then go from there.

If its the A/C switch it will have to be done at a sevice center unless you have all the stuff. Most people dont but thats ok because if it is you will want to be sure there isn't an A/C problem that is making the switch just do its job.

G/L[:)]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts