Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has been acting up lately - twice now I have been stopped at a red light and all the lights go off then come right back on - the car doesnt turn off, but only the lights. Yesterday I start the car and the radio is off and I always keep it on... hit the power button and it wants my passcode (I thought this only happened when the battery was disconnected?). Now, today I drive home, park, and turn it off... I realize I have some things in the back to put in the garage so I go to start it up again and move it closer... absolutely nothing happens, no sounds, no lights, nothing. Strangely I try the keyfob to lock/unlock and it works... upon doing so the dash lights come on and I could start the car again.

There was also once, after a hard rain and it was outside, that when I started the car it through out an 'error' on the dash. After waiting a few seconds and trying again it fired up fine.

The battery was replaced last year so I don't think that is the problem although I have it on a charger right now to charge it full anyways. Will also be disconnecting the terminals afterwards and cleaning them in case there is a bad connection/corrosion going on although I doubt there is.

A friend of mine said there was a SB out for something with the dash lights, but didn't go into detail about it. Any chance anyone has access to this?

2005 ML 500 SE with just under 50k on it.

·
Registered
'02 ML500 (Kleeman headers, tune, AMG ML55 wheels,3.09 diffs, 3rd row seats);
272 Posts
Has been acting up lately - twice now I have been stopped at a red light and all the lights go off then come right back on - the car doesnt turn off, but only the lights. Yesterday I start the car and the radio is off and I always keep it on... hit the power button and it wants my passcode (I thought this only happened when the battery was disconnected?). Now, today I drive home, park, and turn it off... I realize I have some things in the back to put in the garage so I go to start it up again and move it closer... absolutely nothing happens, no sounds, no lights, nothing. Strangely I try the keyfob to lock/unlock and it works... upon doing so the dash lights come on and I could start the car again.

There was also once, after a hard rain and it was outside, that when I started the car it through out an 'error' on the dash. After waiting a few seconds and trying again it fired up fine.

The battery was replaced last year so I don't think that is the problem although I have it on a charger right now to charge it full anyways. Will also be disconnecting the terminals afterwards and cleaning them in case there is a bad connection/corrosion going on although I doubt there is.

A friend of mine said there was a SB out for something with the dash lights, but didn't go into detail about it. Any chance anyone has access to this?

2005 ML 500 SE with just under 50k on it.
Only thing I can contribute is to check the ground at both ends, battery and chassis.

I had a ground that was loose on the battery terminal, although it looked tight, tightned it up and all problems went away.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
How much charge was left on the battery before you started charging it.
Your alternator or voltage reg could be shot.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
323 Posts
Everything you describe happened to me. While I was away from home on a commute. I had a battery light indicator. A local benz dealer charged me 400 for a voltage regulator.

I guess since you had no fault indicator your concerned as to what it may be. It's possible a faulty regulator causes things to go goofy for a bit before it fails completely and throws up codes? Who know's. I would start there though. Stick to what's common, and begin there. Benz roadside can test your alt, battery for proper voltage if you do not have the tools. Have them swing on over, give you a jump start and see what's up. As you can tell I have done this many a time ;) If I park my car two weeks, it never ever starts on return. Been that way for years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well here is my update so far...

- disconnected battery and the bolt/nut on the neg battery terminal broke off in my socket. Bought news ones.

- terminal posts were clean and no corrosion as the battery is new as of last year. Grounds were tight and nothing loose.

- cleaned the terminals with a wire brush just for good measure, but appeared fine.

- had battery on trickle charge all night and it is now fully charged.

... thought about this more last night. If the battery was low on charge my dash light would come on... same with alternator if battery wasn't getting charged. Assuming the same with volt problems, but don't remember if there was a dash light for that right now. With everything tight I can only assume maybe I just had a bad connection to the battery posts? Will see if this changes anything and if not will give the dealer a call.

Did anyone find or have access to the SB my friend was talking about - something with the dash lights and how it related to them going out then back on?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts