Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
62,305 Posts
After Recanvass, Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin Concedes Race To Democrat Andy Beshear

After last week's bitter race came down to about 5,000 votes, Beshear declared victory, but Bevin pointed to unspecific and unsubstantiated instances of "significant irregularities" and claimed without evidence that "thousands of absentee ballots ... were illegally counted." The fact that Republicans won every other statewide constitutional office on last Tuesday's ballot also cast doubt on the idea that there was some type of conspiracy afoot.

But now Bevin says he will not further contest the results, which could have thrown the contest into chaos. That option would have given the state legislature, where Republicans have the majority, the potential to decide the outcome of the race.

Instead, Bevin pledged to assist Beshear, who will take office next month, and said he wished his successor well and that he wouldn't be "publicly undermining or second-guessing" the Democrat's administration.

The Republican incumbent's concession brings to an end an especially bitter race that was colored by Bevin's extreme unpopularity in the state after he picked fights with teachers unions and some GOP lawmakers. Beshear was able to capitalize on that with a focus on education and health care. An election-eve rally by President Trump in a state he won by 30 points wasn't enough to save the boisterous governor.

·
Registered
'71 280se 3.5 cab
6,929 Posts
Bright red louisiana re-elects dem governor regardless of trump investing much time and fortune in the race-

2020 here we come.

·
Registered
62,305 Posts
They are also sick and tired of a white supremacist administration / party... Like Obama did for gun sales Trump is doing for blue turnout.

·
Registered
2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
9,959 Posts
Pro-gun, anti-abortion, pro tax cut DINO beats a first time candidate....

Methinks the Dems have been hoodwinked....
May be but just denying a Trump endorsed stooge is satisfying on two fronts - first he can't be worse than the "DINO" from a policy perspective since the Trump defective dog will merely drool and wag his tail whenever Trump grunts or tweets and the DINO will at least oppose him now and then, and second, it is a clear disappointment for Trump as he put some effort into supporting his defective dog, and a series of losses adds to his stress. Both seem like net positives to me, given there was no actual liberal Democrat running....

As my grandson says, "you get what you get and you don't get upset." In this case the outcome was the best possible outcome from my perspective.

Jim

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
May be but just denying a Trump endorsed stooge is satisfying on two fronts - first he can't be worse than the "DINO" from a policy perspective since the Trump defective dog will merely drool and wag his tail whenever Trump grunts or tweets and the DINO will at least oppose him now and then, and second, it is a clear disappointment for Trump as he put some effort into supporting his defective dog, and a series of losses adds to his stress. Both seem like net positives to me, given there was no actual liberal Democrat running....

As my grandson says, "you get what you get and you don't get upset." In this case the outcome was the best possible outcome from my perspective.

Jim
Please refrain from insulting defective dogs.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
9,959 Posts
Please refrain from insulting defective dogs.
Thank you.
Yeah, pretty callous of me....I thought of dogs because, well, he treats people around him like they were possessions and gave Trump way too much credit. Those aren't defective dogs those are actually the low human life forms he is filling the swamp with.....

·
Registered
62,305 Posts
Yeah, pretty callous of me....I thought of dogs because, well, he treats people around him like they were possessions and gave Trump way too much credit. Those aren't defective dogs those are actually the low human life forms he is filling the swamp with.....

A year old but still relevant...

·
Registered
'71 280se 3.5 cab
6,929 Posts
that he hates the pups is part and parcel of the whole package.

let trump be trump. dems in like flynn.

·
Moderately subtle
94 E500, 97 500SL
12,108 Posts

Jim
Yeah, I get it, really, and I was glad to see Bevin lose in KY as well since he was such a putz (still have a LOT of family there from both "sides," and all of them were PO'd at him, just happen to be a pretty strong contingent of teachers). All I was referring to was this guy's positions were about as "red" as anybody's, at least on these big ticket issues, and he seems to be doing OK at his job and avoiding controversy, so I really doubt it's an indication of some "major" swing going on.

·
Registered
62,305 Posts
They lost the governor's race and they lost the house supermajority...

Republicans fell two seats short of the seven they would have needed to win to gain a 70-seat supermajority in the Louisiana House of Representatives on November 16, 2019, after maintaining their majority in the House during the October 12 primary elections. In District 62, Republican Johnny Arceneaux was defeated by independent incumbent Roy Adams, and in District 105, Republican incumbent Chris Leopold was defeated by Democrat Mack Cormier. Twenty-four seats were up for general election.

Party control of eight House seats was decided in the general election. Republican candidates needed to win all seven races in which they were facing a Democratic or independent candidate in order to win a veto-proof House majority. Heading into the election, five of those seats were held by Republicans, one, District 50, was held by a Democrat, and one, District 62, was held by an independent. The eighth race in which party control was decided was between a Democrat and an independent in District 21. The other 16 races were between two candidates from the same party.

Republicans secured a supermajority in the state Senate in the October 12 primary election. With supermajorities in the House and Senate, Republicans would have had the ability to both override a gubernatorial veto and vote to place a legislatively referred constitutional amendment on the ballot. A supermajority would also have increased the likelihood of the state calling a constitutional convention, according to political consultant Clay Young.

These were also the last elections before the state government redraws congressional and state legislative districts following the 2020 Census.[3] If Republicans had won veto-proof majorities in both legislative chambers, they would have had control over Louisiana's redistricting process, regardless of the gubernatorial election's outcome, assuming party cohesion.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Shades of Grey
US Democrats shouldn't get too giddy.. The Repubs appear to have either maneuvered, or allowed themselves to be maneuvered into a corner.
For a majority of US voters to see the current disaster in chief gone, Dems are left as the only alternative. But Democrats shouldn't allow themselves the delusion of thinking they represent America's best alternative.
tmp751490425121931264.jpg

21 - 40 of 51 Posts