Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 ML 350 has an ignition key issue where the key will turn and it will start normally, but recently and with more frequency, it will not engage the starter. I just returned from my local MBZ dealer (after replacement of the recalled airbag) and they said the EIS has to be replaced and it's $537 for the part and $485 to install and whatever else is involved like programming, etc. The EIS is the small electronic box the key goes into and it decides if it wants to start the car or not..

My question is after searching here and other websites, is there a fix I or my independent mechanic can do? When it first started doing it, my independent mechanic replaced the battery (as it was needed anyway) but it didn't clear up the problem. I found places where the EIS can be sent in for repair and since it's matched to the car, it will not need programming. Has anyone done this, can recommend a place that will refurb mine, or found an easier (and less expensive) repair for the EIS?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Something like that most independents won’t be able to die because of theft deterrent controls. Hacked versions of Star are less and less prevalent now so you will have to have the dealer code or find an independent that pays Daimler the subscription fee each month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assumed that to be the case in light of the programming required. Some vendors on eBay and another brick and mortar shop I found say they can repair the module and since it's matched to the car, it would work once reinstalled. I used one of those shops years ago for an ABS module, but obviously this is different. A couple hours for R&R with a few days downtime for $200 sounds better than $1000 but once down the rabbit hole, it could lead to a lot more expenses I'm sure!

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,845 Posts
Vert rarely would this sort of problem be the EIS. If the EIS does not recognize the key, it won't unlock and allow it to be turned to the start position. If it does unlock but the starter does not engage, it's often a voltage issue, or possible a relay or the starter or its solenoid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts