Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Black 99 SLK 230
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed Eibach Sway Bars.

If so was there a big diference in handling.

The one i'm looking at measures 26mm for the front bar and 16mm for the rear.

Also anyone know the oem sway bar size for the front of a 1999 230?

I think I can install the front ok,but the rear i'll take to a shop.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
The front bar is fairly easy to do.
The rear requires you to drop the entire rear suspension package. That's not easy if you don't have the equipment to do it properly. You have the right idea with a shop doing it.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I have installed swaybars on other cars that I have owned and have always been very happy with them. They are almost always a worthwhile upgrade*. Of course if you have to drop the entire rear suspension to install on the SLK it might not be worth the cost.

*If you can run high enough spring rates and shocks to handle it you will be better off not running swaybars at all in a number of cases. Of course you will have a very, very, very stiff ride. Not something you would want to deal with day in and day out.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
*If you can run high enough spring rates and shocks to handle it you will be better off not running sway bars at all in a number of cases. Of course you will have a very, very, very stiff ride. Not something you would want to deal with day in and day out.
Very true, all that sway bars do is tie the suspension together in ways that don't ALWAYS help. Sometimes though, in street cars, they (sway bars) can help. They can help by loading wheels that aren't carrying the load that they need to. They help balance the front/rear weight imbalance, and give a reaction that simulates a shift in the cars Center of Gravity.
The alternative is, as you say, is far stiffer springs, and they can ruin the ride altogether for a street car.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Eibach tells you to do that in their installation instructions.

Call them and ask for a set of instructions. They can fax you a set.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
RE: Eibach tells you to do that in their installation instructions.

Linh, I have installed sway bars in other cars myself. Some have been very easy, others have been more work but nothing like having to drop the whole rear suspension. Everything just depends on how the manufacturer designed the set up on the car.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
From what I remember there are only four bolts that hold the package in place......

That in and of itself is no big deal. The problem comes with lowering the rear assembly, holding it in place, and then reinstalling it and getting the alignment right. A well equipped shop could do this with no sweat, but from what I saw, it's far to difficult to do in the average home garage.

·
Registered
Black 99 SLK 230
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After placing my order for the Eibach anti roll kit for $520.00, found out Eibach has discontinued production of the kit for the SLK.

Not enough people modding thier SLKs.

Anyone have any ideas for a better than OEM SLK sway bar.

·
Registered
Black 99 SLK 230
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After placing my order for the Eibach anti roll kit for $520.00, found out Eibach has discontinued production of the kit for the SLK.

Not enough people modding thier SLKs.

Anyone have any ideas for a better than OEM SLK sway bar.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Ya, go with a pair of sway bars from the '32..........

They're stock parts, and heavier then what you have in a 230.......... [;)]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
RE: Ya, go with a pair of sway bars from the '32..........

Bruce beat me to the suggestion. I would also spend sometime searching for the Eibach anti-roll bars. You never know when you will find a place with a bunch in a wharehouse they are trying to get rid of.

You might also want to search for anti-rollbars made for the Crossfire. Or wait for some to come out. Check and see if Hotchkis (sp?) makes a set. They make very good suspension components.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts