Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im confused Ive read so much that I dont know what to think, Im going to buy one of these springs for a 01 C320, Which one lowers more, rides better, price between the two? And can you change out the pads to fine tune the height and how much will the pads move the height if any? thanks

·
Registered
My Benz: 04 S430
1,219 Posts
My preference are the Eibach's because I just like the way they handle and feel better on my car. I used both for about a week each, and the Eibach's won.
The H&R's did make my car sit a little lower, but either set will work. I'm doing some mods right now to get the height I want with the eibach's.
Pads only work on the back. Depending on what size your car came with, you can go up to 13mm and down to 5mm.
there are only 3 sizes
I have two sizes 9 and 13. I will get a 5mm set next week they are only like 25 or 30 bucks at the dealer.
I am making tests to get the smallest wheel gap, without being tucked in the rear too much.
That's my 2c

·
Registered
68 Posts
There were 4 pads to choose from not long ago. Not sure if that's changed.

A ways back I tried the Eibach's, then the H&Rs. The H&Rs were more comfortable on the street. Once I started autocrossing, I wished I had the Eibach's.

My opinion, get coilovers.

·
Registered
465 Posts
There are actually 4 pads with size 1 being the lowest and 4 the highest, I know this because I'm using number 4 pads.

Second, I suggest if you get the eibachs, get number 4 pads for the rear or else it won't look even, the front will be pretty high and the rear will look tucked in.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2K1 C320 SS
772 Posts
yea man this springs and Cup kit thing is very confusing don't wanna buy and waste money ... i don't even know what to get EIBACH OR H&R. am just out of it ..all i want to do is make my front like 3" lower i don't wanna tuck i just want it low enough without buying coilovers or spending alot of money

i still wanna be able to put some fat chicks in the back seat with out rubbing
what do u guys BUY/GET first Wheels Or Springs/cupkit

am thinking of getting
19x8.5 front 235/35/19 toyo Proxes 4 all season
19x9.5 rear 245/35/19 toyo Proxes 4 all season
do u think i will get a rubbing problems if i lower my car with springs or even a cup kit?

My04230k are you going to be selling the extra set of springs you got? if so how much ? email me [email protected]

·
Registered
W203 230 Kompressor
111 Posts
I don't know how a 245-35-19 is going to fit on the back, I'm running a 265-30-19 on the rear of my 19"-9.5s in the rear with some Continental sport 2s. I have the Eibach, I don't rub and I'm tucking like an inch.5

·
Registered
465 Posts
WaveyKat - 3/14/2005 7:09 PM

yea man this springs and Cup kit thing is very confusing don't wanna buy and waste money ... i don't even know what to get EIBACH OR H&R. am just out of it ..all i want to do is make my front like 3" lower i don't wanna tuck i just want it low enough without buying coilovers or spending alot of money

am thinking of getting
do u think i will get a rubbing problems if i lower my car with springs or even a cup kit?

My04230k are you going to be selling the extra set of springs you got? if so how much ? email me [email protected]
It all depends on your offset with the correct offset, you should not have rubbing with 19-9.5s, but if you want 3 inches in the front, you're gonna need coilovers, the cup kit only lowers 2 inches at most.

·
Registered
2004 W203 C180K Elegance Sport Sedan & 2005 W209 CLK280 Elegance Coupe
104 Posts
everyone has different opinions on H+R vs Eibach. some people say Eibach is more comfortable/better handling, and others say H&R is.

in terms of ride height this is taken directly off their websites.

H&R springs
lowering 40mm front and rear

Eibach Springs "Pro-Kit"
30mm front and rear

Eibach Springs "Sportline"
45-50mm

H&R "cup kit" (spring and shock set)
lowering front 60mm
lowering rear 40mm

Eibach "pro system" (spring and shock set)
lowering 30mm front and rear

H&R coil overs,
lowering 30mm-70mm front
lowering 30-60mm rear

Eibach coil overs,
lowering 30-65mm front
lowering 30-50mm rear

as for spring pads, well that another trick. i presume they have different sizes because of different engine weights.

·
Registered
My Benz: 04 S430
1,219 Posts
WaveyKat - 3/14/2005 10:09 PM

am thinking of getting

Does anyone know the overall tire hieght difference between a stock 17" wheel and say a 18"wheel? I'm trying to figure out how much gap I'll loose of gain by changing to an 18" or 19" wheel.
Thanks..

Wavykat, I'll let you know later today...I'm waiting in some info on some cut springs I should have today.

·
Registered
2K1 C320 SS
772 Posts
now this get more confusing ooooooooooooooh booyy maybe i just cut my factory springs lol :)

CUPKIT OR JUST SPRINGS

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
For the ESP, ASR, etc to function properly, you should not be making significant changes in the overall diameter of the tires. This means that if you go up in wheel diameter the aspect ratio of the tire should be smaller. For example, a 17" wheel uses a tire with an aspect ratio of 45, while an 18" should use a 40. If done properly, there will be no effect on the tire/fender gap.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Since the spring pads are only used on the rear, engine weight had nothing to do with which pads are used.

·
Registered
465 Posts
ozarkbenz - 3/16/2005 5:42 AM

can you replace just the springs and not the shocks? will the factory shocks last? price on H&R springs??
Yes You can, but this will shorten the life of your shocks, BUt the shocks last a pretty long time anyways. CAn't remember exactly how long, but there are varying opinions.

·
Registered
2004 W203 C180K Elegance Sport Sedan & 2005 W209 CLK280 Elegance Coupe
104 Posts
for a *normal* car shocks should last approximately 60,000-80,000kms before it needs to be replaced (this is if the car is not lowered)
for a german design car i think it will last even longer

if the car is lowered, the life of shocks is apparently halved.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was in the same situation as you were a year ago. I finally went with the Eibach Pro-kits. It's almost been a year and the ride is superb. Can't hardly tell the difference compared with the OEM springs. The ride does feel slightly rougher on bad roads, but you don't drive a C class offroad.

The two I was looking at were the Pro-kits and the Sport Springs from H&R. The Eibachs lower 1.2" all around. The H&Rs lower 1.4" front and 1.3" back. Likewise, there are too many different opinions on what is better. I called various tuning shops to get contradicting answers. Some say H&R is stiffer and is more for track racing, not everyday driving. Others say that about Eibachs.

I never had H&Rs, but the Eibachs work great thus far even though some say Eibachs tend to sag after the first year especially on the rear springs. I think you can't go wrong with either brand, Eibachs and H&Rs are the two most well-known suspension companies, both made in Germany.

However, H&Rs do lower slightly more esp. the front, which many may agree, the C class needs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts