Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking on buying a set of sport springs for my CE300, my shocks are in perfect shape so they don’t need to be replaced. Do I need to use sport shocks with the brand new springs? Or can I use the old ones…? Somebody told me that is not recommendable to use stock shocks with sport springs… Thanks a lot.
By the way… I would like to see some pics with some w124 lowered. 

·
Registered
452 Posts
The first thing I will tell you is that this topic has been covered and covered and covered. The search feature is provided to users for this reason. Look around a bit. You will find tons of discussion about this topic, as well as many pictures of lowered W124's.

Since I'm in a good mood, I'll give you my 2 cents. I have H&R springs on my car. I rode on the stock shocks for around a year and a half, and they were completely destroyed by the end of it. I should've saved up the cash and done it all at once because the labor would've been cheaper to do it all together.

The reason the stock shocks will not hold up is pretty obvious if you think about it. The shorter springs will cause the shocks to be more constantly compressed that they would be if the springs were taller. Thus, the shocks have to support more of the car's weight that they were designed to. Springs are supposed to support the car's weight, and shocks are supposed to control the rebounding of the springs. That constant compression, and the fact that the shocks will have to absorb much greater pressure when you hit bumps

You will bounce all over the place once your shocks go bad. When you hit larger bumps, it will feel like your suspension is bottoming out and you'll bounce for a second or two afterwards.

So you're gonna need new shocks. I went with Bilstein Sports. They are more expensive than the some of the others out there, but you won't regret it. I recently replaced mine.

good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
thanks man. The color of my car is actually the thing that I like the least, but I'm glad somebody likes it! lol

Those pics were taken a couple of days after I got it lowered (around a yr and a half ago). So as the shocks went south, so did my ride height. I think H&R says that it lowers the car about 1.3". I'd say that's about accurate.

By the time I replaced my shocks, I would say that the ride height was at least another .5" lower. But now that I have the bilstein sports, the car is back to about the same height as the above pics. Actually, the rear sits a bit higher, so I might have to install smaller spring pads in the rear to even things out a bit. But I'm gonna see if the shocks settle at all first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts