Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995 c280
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, The Mechanic that changed my transmission told me that he scaned the codes and the all the ones that he got are all related to the EGR Valve. He also told me that my poor MPG is because of it(9-10 mpg) Too poor I know. he said I also need to change my coils. (I've changed plugs and wire).
My car has 114k on it and the tranny got 59k body is still new replaced a lot of parts(engine wiring harness, head gasket, plugs, wires, connectors, oil and air filter, oil, MAF, tires, windshield wiper motor, and I can't remember what else...) He said that my oil pan is leaking a little bit.
The mech said that its better if I sell the car. what do you guys suggest me to do? the only thing wrong with the car now is only EGR and it needs new coils and I think everything is great.
You guys think its worth changing them and keeping the car or selling it?
also are meyle coils as good as bosch or bosch is better? which should i get?
Thanks

·
Registered
880 Posts
If your plugs were misfiring, and he scanned your codes, he would have found misfire codes. He did not. You might as well only spend money on what you really need to change.

Is your wiring harness new?

Are your brakes dragging?

What is your mileage at 60 or 70 mph?

Was your transmission slipping before it was changed. This alone would have caused bad mileage.

·
Registered
1995 c280
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding.
Sorry I didn't mention that he found a misfire code.
yes my harness is new.There's something wrong with my brakes but i'm not sure what the problem is,sometimes when I park I feel the heat comming from the wheels, also if I hit the brake I sometimes hear something like its getting broke, and sometimes my brakes are not hard I push the pedal all the way down and the car doesn't stop immediatly. My tranny was running great but my brother was changing the fluid and he cracked the casing so I replaced it.

·
Registered
95 C280, 89 300E, 94' E320 Coupe, 91' 560SEC
1,095 Posts
how does he crack the casing? only the botton pan and torque converter bolts have to be undone.

As for brakes, one (or more) of the calipers may have seized up. It happened on my left rear. The temps were really high and the pad was shot on one side of the disc. I got the rebuilt caliper for $35 and decided to do the right rear as well.

Right now my EGR valve is clogged as well. Carbon deposits build up and block it. I have to clean mine out soon enough. Not that hard to do yourself

·
Registered
1995 c280
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've cleaned mine it wasn't clogged. after cleaning it nothing changed. I think it needs to be replaced(its the original one)
also is it time to change all coils?(Still original too) and are meyle coils as good as bosch?

thanks

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
From what you said now and in the past the brakes are issue. I would bleed the brakes, inspect the calipers all the way around. If things don't check out in that department you many be looking at new new master cyl. or new calipers.
EGR? is it really running rough? was the tube cleaned? I am really not sure how the mechanic came to the conclustion about a bad EGR.
Worn O2 sensors can cause all sorts of air/idle issues and poor MPG even without posting a code. The oil leak may be due to a compression failure which would act and give poor mileage like a head gasket leak.
I would keep the car if you are debating selling unless you are hard on cash.
You have to ask yourself do you want some other car with another set of problems including a payment? I doubt it. B

1 - 6 of 6 Posts