Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Finally attacked my Hot Start up problem, and YES the EGR Tube was 90% Clogged at the end that goes into the intake manifold with CARBON. EGR Valve is fine! Now I have a rough Idle that is smoothing out as I put miles on?????? I may have left some gumout in the tube or H20 which is causing this rough idle. The truck now STARTS ON DEMAND EVERY TIME!!!! STEALERSHIP wante $700.00 to replace tube and EGR Valve, total time for me 2 hours, and greasy hands:) So the march goes on 173,600 miles on the ODO. Thanks to Wolfgang, and others on this forum to assist with information. John

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same on the fuel consumption, starts MUCH easier when warm, still idles a little rough, going to let the techron do its stuff though the tank, then if still rough, look at plan b NEW PLUGS. have 100k on this set.

·
Registered
98 ML320
97 Posts
I did mine recently and took two pictures. It is a 98 ML320 and set code 400. You must remove the intake piping downstream of the MAF unit to see the EGR valve. It has both an electrical connection and a vacuum supply. To remove the pipe, you must remove the vacuum distribution fitting for clearance. This should be replaced if more than a few years old.

NOTE: If your idle is bad this block is either broken like the one in the picture, or it didn't seat properly and vacuum leak exists. The part that breaks off is a pitot tube which sends a calibrated signal to the MAP sensor. I will try to send 3 pictures.

Jim in Phoenix

Attachments

·
Registered
98 ML320
97 Posts
<<hi
i couldn't really locate from the photo the eGR tube can you please clarify more (sorry i am a new owner)
regards>>

I had all of these pictures captioned but the words have disappeared in transit. This is on my 98 ML320.

They do pack a lot of stuff in there! Standing near the fender on the passenger's side you are looking over the cap that covers the transmission oil fill pipe. The first round hole you see is the top of the EGR valve with the pipe removed. Note: you will not see this if you don't remove the air intake piping from the mass air flow meter to the back of the engine. The EGR pipe is easy to spot with it's corugated bend. Don't let those goofy bolts throw you. 8 and 10 mm sockes with 12 points work fine.

Good luck,

Jim in Phoenix

·
Registered
2000 ml 430
151 Posts
nice job! thanks for pointing out the merits of 12 pt sockets. kinda makes you wonder what the inside of the intake manifold looks like doesn't it? you know it has a pair of flapper things in it to change the intake runner lengths to 'longer' for low-end torque vs 'shorter' for hi rpm h.p. I wonder if that thing ever gets so gunked up that it sticks?

·
Registered
2001 ML320
30 Posts
ok,i didnot completely take all the air duct out i just lift it and figure out the big wrench wont fit ,i find out its all rusty, will wd40 lossen it.do i need to remove the egr valve also. if yes how and what bolts and nut to remove.
thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the P0400 code and want to clean the EGR tube on my 00 ML430. After I removed, engine cover, I removed the air filter box, MAF sensor. I could not remove the remaining air intake pipe. I could disconnect it from the engine, but there is not enough room to take it out no matter how I twist it. Did anyone remove and clean the EGR tube on a V8? Do I have to remove the coolant tank in order to have more room? Thank you in advance for all your replies.

·
Registered
00 ML430 05 ML500
173 Posts
I have the P0400 code and want to clean the EGR tube on my 00 ML430. After I removed, engine cover, I removed the air filter box, MAF sensor. I could not remove the remaining air intake pipe. I could disconnect it from the engine, but there is not enough room to take it out no matter how I twist it. Did anyone remove and clean the EGR tube on a V8? Do I have to remove the coolant tank in order to have more room? Thank you in advance for all your replies.
The first thing I did was remove the coolant tank, I took out the hose that is at the fire wall and plugged it so that the coolant would not come out. I placed the tank on top of the manifold to have a clear view to the air inlet tube. The inlet tube has a hose on the right lower end attached that is pretty tight and must come of in order to remove the inlet tube from the throttle body. Remember that there is a clip that needs to be pressed for it to come loose at the top of the tube as well as the screw attached to the cylinder head. What I did was remove the egr to have easier access to remove the pipe. By removing the egr valve I was able to remove the pipe and clean it with ease. I wish I would have a had a camera to show all my steps. It has been three weeks now and the check engine light has not come on.

·
Registered
00 ML430 05 ML500
173 Posts
Thank you ML430ROCKS. Good to here that disconnecting only the coolant hose at the fire wall worked. I think I will try again this weekend.
You are welcome,

Yes, disconnect only that one hose and plug the tube on the fire wall. Place the tank vertical on the manifold to keep the coolant inside. You may plug the hose as well, however, it is not needed.

·
Registered
1997 W210 E320, 1999 W163 ML430, 2002 W203 C240
761 Posts
Thank you ML430ROCKS. Good to here that disconnecting only the coolant hose at the fire wall worked. I think I will try again this weekend.
please take pictures when you do the job.. please.. I want to do this job beacuse my engine light came on and I have the same code. I own an ML430 also.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.