Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to go ahead and eliminate my egr system, however i have one dilema. (maybe just a mental block) its more than easy to remove all the components, and to make a metal cap to bolt down where the valve used to be on the intake manifold. what i cant figure out is the lower connection on the exhaust. it appears to be a tube slid over a flange, and bolt clamped on. how would i make something or find something that takes the tubes place and clamps on, and sealing it up tight? any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
No need to remove the whole thing. Just put a "BB" in the rubber hose going to it.

Len

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
huh? the vacuum line? elaborate further, please.

·
Registered
1980 300D
309 Posts
On my non-turbo 300D I got vacuum plug ends from MB and plugged the EGR, the temperature sensor that activates the EGR, and the vacuum line that lead to the temperature sensor. Works fine, less vacuum lines snaking around.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
The previous owner actually removed the lines on mine. The EGR is just there for "decorative" purposes now.
-Joe

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
interesting. so i cap the vacuum inlet on the egr valve intself, cap the opposite end as well, and eliminate that vacuum line entirely. i imagine that the other end of the line going to the egr valve is the temperature sensor? or am i still missing something? (its dark out obviously, and i dont feel like going out there and tinkering, and im having trouble picturing all this in my head.)

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
As I haven't done it myself yet (it's exactly how it is in the image I posted) I can't comment on plugging the other end as well. But either way, you know you could plug the EGR end of the line first. Try and experiment on the other end if you see good results.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what i had meant was in the am i will plug the egr valve inlet, and remove the vacuum line for it entirely, and then plug whatever that line was going into. (the temp sensor i'd assume)

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
ahhh the quest for power continues.

I would love to help you out but I have only done this work on my Land Rover and I'm not too familiar with the MB equivalent engine.

May I suggest you look into fitting a large intercooler,... it makes a HUGE difference to performance and reliability,... and the best part is that it's not too hard to do yourself.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
for the lower you need to make a copper disk to cover it and then use the original clamp.
but as others have said you can block the vac tube with a bb.
this would be only for 'off road' use you understand
[:eek:)]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Off Road" usa, of course. i plan to never drive my benz on the highway again. i only do trails and mudholes with her. [:D]

as for the intercooler, im planning on buying the intercooler kit, propane injection kit, and the replacing ur ashtray with a boost pressure gauge/pyrometer (exhaust temperature) gauge kits, as soon as mister moguland in canada releases them. check this guy out on ebay, search for 300 d, or go to http://moguland.com and click products, then go down to "Mercedes Performance Diesel" to see his intake kit, currently all thats avail, that other stuffs coming by summer. should be awesome.

·
Registered
1980 300D
309 Posts
The vacuum line for the EGR connects the EGR to a temperature switch. Plug the EGR and both connections on the temperature switch - they are like rabbit ears - the switch is not needed any more. You can remove the vacuum line to the temperature switch entirely from your vacuum system and simplify the connection by getting a new connector to the myriad of other vacuum lines. Now you have four less vacuum lines/connections to leak...

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i will look into removing the sensor and lines, for now the capping was a success. i got a bunch of acceleration power, plus, in traffic or on the 'bahn, i only need to apply minimal pressure to the accelerator to spool up the turbo and shoot off like a rocket. i imagine my economy miles per tank will go up a bit too. we'll see. i also did it to the DT right away, and also had similar positive results.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
did it go away after driving to the corner? mine made no smoke, neither did dads DT, but we have fuel lubricant in there, and combustion enhancer, and they are ANALY maintained, so maybe thats why. no, caus u probably have less milage, so u cant possibly have more carbon caked in the manifolds than we do......what a mystery.....

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I think it was dust that I saw [:D] I only checked with the car in the parking garage. I checked a few times today when I drove around and no smoke! But I won't give it an Italian tune up just yet because of my bad alternator ... hopefully by Friday!!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what is that what man names "The Italian Tuneup"?? if its gangster, i would like to know about it. seriously though, what all do you plan to do?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Drive up a long, ascending incline (like a mountain road) with the pedal to the floor, engine revving up, and maintain that rate for a good few minutes (or until you have no more road). Repeat if necessary.

It basically removes all the carbon deposits from the exhaust and unclogs it, making it flow more and give your engine less restrictions. It'll also put a huge smile on your face! [:D]

·
Registered
6 Posts
What benefit is achieved by eliminating the EGR? What is the down side if any?

My '81 240D is always looking for more umph!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts