Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than throw money at my Thai "mechanic" maintained FI system, I am going to convert to modern EFI.
Functionality is more important to me than originality

I have spent some time reading the DYI threads and come away with as many questions as I started with.
A Microsquirt or VEMS based system would be of interest if anyone could provide info on how they did it and what is needed. Fuel only is a lot simpler, and add ignition later?

The Elbe solution is nice but at 2700 Euros + 50% by the time I import it is getting a bit expensive for me. Mind you the learning curve should be shorter as sorted out with EFI fuel + ignition

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
444 Posts
Rather than throw money at my Thai "mechanic" maintained FI system, I am going to convert to modern EFI.
Functionality is more important to me than originality

I have spent some time reading the DYI threads and come away with as many questions as I started with.
A Microsquirt or VEMS based system would be of interest if anyone could provide info on how they did it and what is needed. Fuel only is a lot simpler, and add ignition later?

The Elbe solution is nice but at 2700 Euros + 50% by the time I import it is getting a bit expensive for me. Mind you the learning curve should be shorter as sorted out with EFI fuel + ignition
I use a megasquirt MS3X on my boat it's a ford engine but that should not matter.
I chose the ms3 offer others for its flexibility and price.
I did fuel first than ignition and finally converted to full sequential fuel and spark with coil near plug.
It has auto tune and logging this get your engine to good running point.
From there you can tune for performance.
It also offers external in and outputs and can-bus.
The support forum is excellent and has answered every question ask.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am leaning towards MS or VEMS but still need to know a bit more about the 117 engine:

Spacing for the injectors in order to machine the fuel rails. Can someone please confirm if this is correct:

Which injectors? I see that 5.0 Ford ones are used, but there is conflicting info on if they can be removed from the head as they slip in too far and the o-ring jams preventing removal?
Bosh EV12 and EV6 styles are also referenced?

What to use for a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)
MS can get away with an AIT sensor (Air Intake Temperature) so MAP should not be required

Tuner Studio software looks interesting and will make it a lot easier:
http://www.tunerstudio.com/index.php/tuner-studio

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
444 Posts
I am leaning towards MS or VEMS but still need to know a bit more about the 117 engine:

Spacing for the injectors in order to machine the fuel rails. Can someone please confirm if this is correct:
View attachment 2613491
Which injectors? I see that 5.0 Ford ones are used, but there is conflicting info on if they can be removed from the head as they slip in too far and the o-ring jams preventing removal?
Bosh EV12 and EV6 styles are also referenced?

What to use for a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)
MS can get away with an AIT sensor (Air Intake Temperature) so MAP should not be required

Tuner Studio software looks interesting and will make it a lot easier:
Performance, Drivability & Efficiency. Simplified!
I can't help you with the injectors but whatever you deside on get high impedance, then you dont need a external driver.
Same for ignition coils.
The ms can work without tps, I would not recommend it makes tuning way more complicated. All you have to do is get a potentiometer connected to your throttle somhow.
I can confirm ms3x works with map and or maf I still use map but plan on converting to maf in the future.
Paul

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts