Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300CDT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
W123s are hard to come by at PNPs where I am from. I found a very beat up W123 for sale that would be useful in sourcing parts for my running 300CD.

Thing is, I don't have storage space for it. I could rent a space at a lot, but that will get expensive fast.

My thought is to completely disassemble everything except the rusty frame, and store the parts in my basement. I'm picturing seats, engine (I'm told it works fine, could save it as a backup in case mine fails one day), sunroof mechanism, everything.

I've only ever done minor mechanical work on my 300CD. Am I in way over my head? If this is a worthwhile endeavor, is there anything I need to know about maintaining any of the parts so they don't damage while in storage?

Grateful for any advice or guides to get me started (or not started).

·
Registered
2 Posts
W123s are hard to come by at PNPs where I am from. I found a very beat up W123 for sale that would be useful in sourcing parts for my running 300CD.

Thing is, I don't have storage space for it. I could rent a space at a lot, but that will get expensive fast.

My thought is to completely disassemble everything except the rusty frame, and store the parts in my basement. I'm picturing seats, engine (I'm told it works fine, could save it as a backup in case mine fails one day), sunroof mechanism, everything.

I've only ever done minor mechanical work on my 300CD. Am I in way over my head? If this is a worthwhile endeavor, is there anything I need to know about maintaining any of the parts so they don't damage while in storage?

Grateful for any advice or guides to get me started (or not started).
I stripped a 80 300CD that got rear ended. Saved everything except the shell. Cleaned all the bits and bagged & labeled everything. Idea is to have a set of spares for current CD. If anybody needs front or rear seats just reply, those never seem to go bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I stripped a 80 300CD that got rear ended. Saved everything except the shell. Cleaned all the bits and bagged & labeled everything. Idea is to have a set of spares for current CD. If anybody needs front or rear seats just reply, those never seem to go bad.(black)

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,337 Posts
Older cars are easy to work on.
Having 1980's car I was able to replace 4-cylinder engine in 1/2 day.
Today's car take like a week and very easy to run into electronic nightmare.
Renting a lot should work and what a better way to learn how everything works on those cars.
Have fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts