Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Year 2000, SL 500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2000 r129 I had my ECU tuned up and it went from 285Hp (!) instead of the nominal 306, to 314. Torque increased accordingly. In several occasions the battery was disconnected and a number of the suggested step for the reset were followed: Steering wheel right-left-centre, windows down and up and radio code. Would that be enough to have lost the improvements?
To totally reset the ECU the procedure indicated by juancpath on december 2005 (the only one I found), it has to be followed entirely or what we did is already enough?

I must add that with the current driving restrictions now in force in Italy (I lost my license 4 times), it's quite difficult to test the car on a drive.
Thanx for your help.

·
Registered
Year 2000, SL 500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On my 2000 r129 I had my ECU tuned up and it went from 285Hp (!) instead of the nominal 306, to 314. Torque increased accordingly. In several occasions the battery was disconnected and a number of the suggested step for the reset were followed: Steering wheel right-left-centre, windows down and up and radio code. Would that be enough to have lost the improvements?
To totally reset the ECU the procedure indicated by juancpath on december 2005 (the only one I found), it has to be followed entirely or what we did is already enough?

I must add that with the current driving restrictions now in force in Italy (I lost my license 4 times), it's quite difficult to test the car on a drive.
Thanx for your help.
Is it ever possible that nobady has a guess on this?
Thanx for any suggestion

·
Undercover Moderator
2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
5,331 Posts
On my 2000 r129 I had my ECU tuned up and it went from 285Hp (!) instead of the nominal 306, to 314.
285hp.... you losing power..... I say leave it stock..... The stock have 302 hp....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Year 2000, SL 500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
285hp.... you losing power..... I say leave it stock..... The stock have 302 hp....:thumbsup:
The R129 has 302 Hp because is the north American model. I have a European car (W129) which is supposed to have 306 Hp, according to MB.
To go fro A to B it's enough a single horse with 4 legs. On this basis, your Brabus could move an army from A to Z.
I couldn't get any idea, as yet, on my problems. In fact I'm thinking of resetting the ECU because the front left well brakes by itself at any tight right corner. Before spending a fortune for a new YAW, I hoped that could be fixed with just a reset.
I found the way to reset the ECU, but I ‘d hate to loose the increased power. As I mentioned, on the dymo the original setup was quite below what I purchased from MB.
I saw your cars. Just gorgeous. I think you played enough with the 129 model to be able come up with some idea. In that case, thanx a lot.

·
Undercover Moderator
2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
5,331 Posts
I try to understand your problem...... Having your ecu tuned should not effect the front left brakes by itself at any tight right turn. unless you going really fast... and that what it should do..... so you wont spin out..... Try turn off the ASR and ESP.....

BTW your ecu tuned at 285 hp..... at the wheel or at the crank....??

·
Registered
Year 2000, SL 500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I try to understand your problem...... Having your ecu tuned should not effect the front left brakes by itself at any tight right turn. unless you going really fast... and that what it should do..... so you wont spin out..... Try turn off the ASR and ESP.....

BTW your ecu tuned at 285 hp..... at the wheel or at the crank....??
Thanx for the answer. The brake comes on every fast tight corner… especially if there is a pot hole on the road. It’s more obvious if it happens if you have to close the corner at the end just a little more. If I switch EPS off it doesn’t do it anymore.
The annoying thing is that when the brake comes on it also cuts down power. If the thrust is reduced, the centrifugal force in relation to the forward force becomes more dominant and the car tends not to close the corner.
You can add to this that if the external front well brakes, the car tends to rotate on that pivot and direct the nose just where you don’t want it. It doesn’t happen on left corners, even at faster speed.
On winding roads I now switch always the ESP off, yet the malfunction it’s annoying and I sometime forget.
Would you know if the ESP is somehow connected to the Xenon low beam up/down sensors? There could be an answer because in those conditions the car knees down on the left front well… especially on a pot hole.
The 185 Hp were measured at the well, but a loss of 21 Hp seems a lot anyway. Now is 314 at the well.
Thanx for all you can come up.
Paolo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts