Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post - excuse my ignorance. I own a 2001 ML55 AMG - I have had plenty of experience with M series BMWs (two m3s, two m roadsters) and I race supersport - when it comes to this truck, I am clueless as to who I should trust !! What chip / reflash should I look into ? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
The gains aren't great you know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wouldn't expect them to be, if I can get legitimate 10-12 HP then I would be content.

So asides from the gains not being great, which one do you recommend :p ?

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
idk aside from just getting generic maps that most tuner shops have... maybe renntech. I bet you will get 10 hp and 20-30 ft lbs.. and perhaps removing rev limiter and remapping the accelerator maps. There is also InMotion Tuning which is cheap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
idk aside from just getting generic maps that most tuner shops have... maybe renntech. I bet you will get 10 hp and 20-30 ft lbs.. and perhaps removing rev limiter and remapping the accelerator maps. There is also InMotion Tuning which is cheap.
Danke,

only good local tuning is KTR motorsports in my area, I don't believe they even do work on mercedes. Could be mistaken - I'll check out the InMotion Tuning.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
I'm not critisizing you at all but; I would be wary about modifying my truck in this way.

How much faster will the truck become with 10-12 more horsepower and/or 20 lbs ft more torque?

You could probably get the same effect if you remove the spare tyre, back seats and travel with only 5 gallons of fuel in the truck and YOURSELF only as passenger.:p

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Call Oliver at Speedtuningusa.com, (301) 421-9464.

Oliver is a straight shooter, and will tell you what to reasonably expect from the tuning, and is a fantastic real-world tuner.

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
I talked to James at inmotion today. He said $400. Don't expect miracles but about 5-7% increase in power along with better throttle maps.

·
Registered
2001 ML430 Sport bought in very nice shape despite 156K miles in August 2010
540 Posts
We've seen a recent case where the dealer had red flagged the service record for a car that had a non-stock ECU chip. Basically, all warranty bets were off.
Maybe that doesn't bother you, but it might be a good idea to get all the recalls/warranty fixes done before you chip the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not critisizing you at all but; I would be wary about modifying my truck in this way.

How much faster will the truck become with 10-12 more horsepower and/or 20 lbs ft more torque?

You could probably get the same effect if you remove the spare tyre, back seats and travel with only 5 gallons of fuel in the truck and YOURSELF only as passenger.:p
I can tell you are just trying to help. But why wouldn't I not only add the chip but remove the spare ... back seats and travel with 3 1/2 gallons (my choice since I'm only ten minutes from the city :p ) ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Call Oliver at Speedtuningusa.com, (301) 421-9464.

Oliver is a straight shooter, and will tell you what to reasonably expect from the tuning, and is a fantastic real-world tuner.

Keep the beat !
thank you bro, will check him out and call.

I talked to James at inmotion today. He said $400. Don't expect miracles but about 5-7% increase in power along with better throttle maps.
5-7% is a solid gain for 400 bucks in my book ! I had a stage 3 A4 , that 1.8 was amazing with a simple reflash but no other engine does more than the average 5-10% power.

We've seen a recent case where the dealer had red flagged the service record for a car that had a non-stock ECU chip. Basically, all warranty bets were off.
Maybe that doesn't bother you, but it might be a good idea to get all the recalls/warranty fixes done before you chip the car.

01 and 105k miles so I am past all that I believe yeh? Sorry I am brand with benzs ! This is my first.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
I can tell you are just trying to help. But why wouldn't I not only add the chip but remove the spare ... back seats and travel with 3 1/2 gallons (my choice since I'm only ten minutes from the city :p ) ?
Hello MuGGsy,

The point I was trying to make was that removal of all those parts would reduce weight and that in doing so you would probably make the truck just as fast as if you chipped it to gain 10-12 more horsepower.

Personally, I find my ML55 feels faster after a vaccuum, wash, wax and polish.:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am currently working on becoming a dealer for Optican, a German tuning company. Check this link for the claimed power increases. OBD-Tuning GmbH I'm still in the process of becoming a dealer but they are coming out with a new product which will have the original file the car came with along with a tuning file on a piece which will enable you to flash your ecu back and forth yourself anytime you choose. All cars are not available yet but the ones which aren't can still be done without removing the chip but at a slightly higher cost, and not to be done yourself. The price for the Flash Booster will be about $899 retail and the price for the file flash via computer would be about $1200.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts