Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 c320 Mercedes , and I want to reflash/remap my ECU to get better performance. Does anyone know what that entails, and how to do it myself?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,815 Posts
I assume you mean that you want to load an ECU tune created by a company that specializes in that, and not that you want to actually map the ECU programming yourself? There are many companies that provide ECU tunes. Most have the capability to send you an OBDII "dongle" that does the work so you don't have to remove and ship your ECU.

You should know that any performance gains on the 3.2l M112 engine are going to be fairly insignificant. There's just not much you can do just through tuning with a normally-aspirated engine.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,815 Posts
The stock C320 has 215hp. A near 10% gain from an ECU tune is a pretty strong claim. I'd have to see a before and after dyno test to believe it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
so I was given an old 94 E320 sedan with 160K on it, by a wealthy research scientist who was the single owner. This car had the old rotting electrical harness and tons of gremlins but it would scratch with a touch of throttle in second gear about 40 mph and it got over 400 miles on a 16+ gallon tank city and much higher on the highway. I later purchased a 95 E320 wagon and restored it and the wagon would never touch the performance of this sedan. Im convinced either his science guys (google Applied Science Inc..) or a California tuner had remapped the ECU on this car for supernatural performance. I didnt ask him about the history of the car and he probably didnt know..he'd had a stroke and lost lots of memory but Im not convinced what my friend tjts1 says is true. There is LOTS of snake oil out there but that doesnt mean the real deal isnt there as well. (I thnk the recent VW scandal proves its possible to trick out the software for amazing results as they did with the VW TDI)

Good forum here and thanks everyone for the input. Real life test is the proof when all the selling and hype dies down. (I watched the TVT M112 modification guy picking up M113 parts, throttle bodies and MAF sensor housings for under $50 on ebay and then reselling them for $150 -$250 with great claims of HP increase when installed on the crossfires and 3.2 liter benz'. People went nuts for it and Im not sure at all that is worth doing. It seemed to all be in the expectations..Yes like the second coming or the real estate bubble.

And for the fellow who wants a dyno proof, isnt that exactly what all these outfits base their work on, Eurocharged and OE, Kleeman and so on..They all show specific and documented results of their applications. And they have dozens of happy customers reporting solid results.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
so I was given an old 94 E320 sedan with 160K on it, by a wealthy research scientist who was the single owner. This car had the old rotting electrical harness and tons of gremlins but it would scratch with a touch of throttle in second gear about 40 mph and it got over 400 miles on a 16+ gallon tank city and much higher on the highway. I later purchased a 95 E320 wagon and restored it and the wagon would never touch the performance of this sedan. Im convinced either his science guys (google Applied Science Inc..) or a California tuner had remapped the ECU on this car for supernatural performance. I didnt ask him about the history of the car and he probably didnt know..he'd had a stroke and lost lots of memory but Im not convinced what my friend tjts1 says is true. There is LOTS of snake oil out there but that doesnt mean the real deal isnt there as well. (I thnk the recent VW scandal proves its possible to trick out the software for amazing results as they did with the VW TDI)

Good forum here and thanks everyone for the input. Real life test is the proof when all the selling and hype dies down. (I watched the TVT M112 modification guy picking up M113 parts, throttle bodies and MAF sensor housings for under $50 on ebay and then reselling them for $150 -$250 with great claims of HP increase when installed on the crossfires and 3.2 liter benz'. People went nuts for it and Im not sure at all that is worth doing. It seemed to all be in the expectations..Yes like the second coming or the real estate bubble.

And for the fellow who wants a dyno proof, isnt that exactly what all these outfits base their work on, Eurocharged and OE, Kleeman and so on..They all show specific and documented results of their applications. And they have dozens of happy customers reporting solid results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts