Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 slk230 Komp
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've done a search and can't find anything. if the the ecu computer needed to be accessed; where would that panel be? does anyone happen to know if there is anything under the little panel just below the ignition switch? if you look at the ignition switch it is kinda "split" with a panel on top and one on the bottom. i need to know what is under the bottom one [:I] thankx

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
937 Posts
The ECU is under the hood in the black box next to the battery, along with a few other things. Don't know what if anything is under the ignition switch.

·
Registered
2000 slk230 Komp
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if the tech had to acces the ecu, he'd do it under the hood? where do they pull codes from. thankx for the reply btw [;)]
the reason for all the questions: i picked my car up from the dealership last night and today i noticed the panel that borders the bottom half of the ignition switch (were you put your key: incase i'm not calling it the right thing) has gouges in it, like someone was trying to remove that panel. i'm trying to find out what's behind that that the dealership would need to get to (the gouges were NOT there the day i dropped the car off)[:(!]

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
barndogz - 4/26/2005 5:46 PM

so if the tech had to acces the ecu, he'd do it under the hood? where do they pull codes from. thankx for the reply btw [;)]
the reason for all the questions: i picked my car up from the dealership last night and today i noticed the panel that borders the bottom half of the ignition switch (were you put your key: incase i'm not calling it the right thing) has gouges in it, like someone was trying to remove that panel. i'm trying to find out what's behind that that the dealership would need to get to (the gouges were NOT there the day i dropped the car off)[:(!]
The obd interface is located on the lower section by the hood release. But I can't imagine somehow gouging the plastic to plug it in since there is no need to it to plugin.

·
Registered
2000 slk230 Komp
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Miked619 - 4/26/2005 10:12 PM

barndogz - 4/26/2005 5:46 PM

The obd interface is located on the lower section by the hood release. But I can't imagine somehow gouging the plastic to plug it in since there is no need to it to plugin.[/QUOTE

thankx. i don't understand why they would try and remove the panel i described. i guess i could try and pry it off and take a look-see
[;)] they accessed my ecu to change my alarm to the netherland setting, i don't where they did that tho. i just know there were no marks before they had it.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
937 Posts
You can read OBD codes as described but Benz techs use a Mercedes-proprietary unit called a Hand Held Tester or HHT plugged into a big circular connector near the ECU for many diagnostic and repair functions. It is more capable that the somewhat generic, government-mandated OBD port.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts