Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1983 280SL 5 Speed
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I've got a pretty dumb question. Where is the ECU located on my 280SL? I removed the passenger floorboard and the only thing in the firewall compartment is the ABS ECM. The used ECU I bought looks far too dirty to be located in the same space.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
31,764 Posts
Hey all! I've got a pretty dumb question. Where is the ECU located on my 280SL? I removed the passenger floorboard and the only thing in the firewall compartment is the ABS ECM. The used ECU I bought looks far too dirty to be located in the same space.
I have an 83 280SL. as well.

I DON"T have an ECU or ABS.
Neither do I have a removeable floor board.

·
Registered
1983 280SL 5 Speed
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an 83 280SL. as well.

I DON"T have an ECU or ABS.
Neither do I have a removeable floor board.
Your car doesn't have an ECU? ABS I can understand as it is optional, but I thought every car had an ECU. There is a compartment underneath the passenger side footwell that has a space where it seems an ECU should go though.

·
31,764 Posts
Your car doesn't have an ECU? ABS I can understand as it is optional, but I thought every car had an ECU. There is a compartment underneath the passenger side footwell that has a space where it seems an ECU should go though.
And what does an ECU do?

·
Registered
1980 450 SL
239 Posts
The 83 380SL has an ECU to control the frequency valve. Using the same body for that model year could explain why. Not unusual to find brackets and compartments for things only meant for some models.

·
Registered
1980 450 SL
239 Posts
I think only 1980 model and above 380sl and 1980 (only) 450sl have Lambda ECU and freqency valves.

·
31,764 Posts
The 83 380SL has an ECU to control the frequency valve. Using the same body for that model year could explain why. Not unusual to find brackets and compartments for things only meant for some models.
Exactly. I have zero electronic gadgetry on my 280SL....except for the ICM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts