Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'00 w163 55 amg (sold) '02 w208 55 amg '03 w163 350 inspiration
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
searched this forum but still inconclusive to my question.
clk's 'parking brake release' warning comes on intermitently.
a tap on a steering wheel button hushes her up until the next 'ding, ding, ding'
to be clear:
this isn't a brake light on the dash, it's the warning in the info. center module that alterts.
has not had a rear brake install/change of any kind--coming soon though.
no abnormal sounds from brakes or deteriation in braking has been noticed.
cable still holds in my steep drive...just that release doesn't seem 'complete' to satisfy sensor(?)
needs a B service but want to rachet cable back before hand so indy won't charge extra $s for 'cable service'. ha.
assumption: thinking parking brake cable/sensor is loose 'somewhere'...
should I check cabin portion or start under the rear?
what to look for?
anyone with a DIY or pdf would be most appreciated.
also note that if this is under a R&I of rear brakes, that wasn't my search criteria. apologies but will gladly accept direction.

·
Registered
'00 w163 55 amg (sold) '02 w208 55 amg '03 w163 350 inspiration
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
miffed. nobody so far has this issue with this ride & wanted to post?

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
oreif

I have no prior knowledge of your problem, but I'll give it some thought by looking at drawings in my WIS... (MB call this the parking brake, so I will also.)

Just to clarify. There is a red warning light on the dash when the parking brake is applied. This is from switch S12 which is attached to the brake pedal assembly, and operated by the brake pedal. I don't think that you are referring to this switch and indicator.

There is another (certainly on my W209) red warning message at the cluster that illuminates if I attempt to drive away without releasing the parking brake. I do this occasionally!

Now I believe that this is a software error message, generated when the wheel sensors know that the car is moving, and the parking brake light is still on. (or the switch says that it is on)

So, is your parking brake light staying on when it should be off? Is the cable slack? How many clicks do you hear before the pedal stops? It should be just 3.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts