Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am having a problem with my W201's Eberspaecher New exhaust system and I have posted this issue in the W201 forum but I haven't gotten any response with substance. I think they make a similar system for the W126 and I wanted to see what yall think about it. Here is the problem: The new system which includes a resonator and muffler, basically a cat back system, are joined together via a fitting that clamps on. For the life of me I could not seal that SOB. I ended up taking it to a shop (Midas) where they used two heavier duty clamps and still the bad boy is leaking exhaust fumes (and water when I first start the car).
Did anyone run into this problem? If so what did you do? Did you have to weld it rather than rely on the clamp? (the clamp that came with the system eventually sheered at the head bolt from too many attempts at making it work)
I am also having a leak between the cat and the resonator fitting that uses a seal ring but that's another matter for another discussion, so please can someone offer me a focused response to my concern?

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, I used the ring between the cat and the resonator but it's leaking. My main question though is about the catback system, that is the connection between the resonator and muffler. The system came with a clamp to go over the connection once I slipped one tube into the other. That connection is leaking no matter where I installed the clamp and how hard I tightened it. The Midas shop ended up using two heavier duty clamps and they still can't get it to seal.
Which liquid exhaust gasket are you referring to? Any brand name? Where and how did you apply it? I have not have any luck with exhaust cement on a previous job, so I am very skeptical of creams and bandages ;)

·
Registered
1982 280 se aut. ecc. - sold
1,607 Posts
Well obviously I bought it on this side of the pond, but it's for sale in every car-parts shop here. It's usually blueish in colour and comes in a tube.
I applied a ring aroound the inner tube and then slid it in the outer tube. Clamped it and it was sealed (and yes like you I had several go's with different clamps).
I'm surpriseed the shop didn't use something like that.

gr J

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Frankly this Midas is horrible; I even got into an argument with the installer when he called me to show me that I somehow did not push the muffler deep enough into the resonator but when I told him that it will make the muffler touch the rear subframe mount and showed him the "disappearing" clearance he quickly interjected and said out of the blue that I think he is retarded (his words). I backed off and let him do his thing and when he called me back again he told me that there was no way he can seal any of the joints so now I went ballistic and confirmed to him that I have enough evidence that he is retarded. It was not a pleasant experience I tell you!

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
use CRC high temp gasket seal when joining the pipes.

·
Registered
2007 S550
243 Posts
I just had an Eberspaecher resonator along with a Cat put on with no problems. Gasket ring up front and direct connection to the muffler in the rear. No leaks and no problems.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You had a direct connection to the muffler as in a single tube between the resonator and muffler? On mine that section was in two and had to be clamped in. The original clamp's head screw snapped after many attempts at tightening it. Midas put two clamps in lieu of that one and tried sealing it to no avail.

·
Registered
2007 S550
243 Posts
Prof,

Yeah, I had a direct connect to the muffler from the Resonator. I had a clamp also, but there may have been a gasket ring as well. Not sure since the Mech. had to order additional parts (only) from the dealer. I had ordered parts from Autohausz, but they were wrong. You should probably check the russian web site for parts. Turns out, the configurations identified on that site is simalar to the configuation information (not same site) used by the dealers parts folks.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
You could have a competent exhaust shop weld the two together...

Goo is a temporary fix.

Jonathan

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You could have a competent exhaust shop weld the two together...

Goo is a temporary fix.

Jonathan
I think that will be a wise choice. Now how about the other problem Jonathan? The junction between the cat and the resonator is leaking even with the seal ring present in between the flanges.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
is the cat stock? Have you tried a different seal ring? Perhaps it got pinched on the way in...?>

Jonathan

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
is the cat stock? Have you tried a different seal ring? Perhaps it got pinched on the way in...?>

Jonathan
The cat is after market. I had one seal only that was supplied for the application.

The cat is on the left in this picture

1 - 16 of 16 Posts