Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,420 Posts
Ahhh - but me thinks a Benzworld member has just purchased said truck ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was curious when I saw the winning bidder name. Pretty sure I recognized it, even with how little I post around here.

Definitely post pictures when you get it home. I can't believe you got it for just 18K!! Did you ask about any problems/issues?

I'm jealous.

·
Registered
79 Case 406
408 Posts
STEEL,

I took my 8 and 12 year old boys on the 150 miles south to see it last Saturday. The kids were pretty bored in the car and when I arrived they were antsy as could be, especially the little one. So I get out in the middle of the forest and ring the bell and met the owner. I did not really know what to expect not knowing jack about mogs. Besides, I was kind of in U1200 mode at that time. That changed though when I weighed 406+911 = U1200 Later I decided 406+911 made more sense to me.

When he opened the garage I could not believe how BIG it was ! And it was the "little" 406. Anyways, the owner started it and the smell was pretty darn strong. I have never owned a diesel before and on the motorcyle I hate following them. He pulled it out and it was immediately apparent that this thing was in ship-shape. New everything. He had spent a boat load of money on it and then "grew tired" of it. There was not a spec of dirt, kinda like it was never used after being restored. All fresh paint, new tires, well run wires and tubing, new brake rotors, new electricals, clean rear of engine, new bed, new upholstery, clean inside and out - it was obviously well restored from what I could tell. You could tell that whoever assembled / restored this vehicle was good. Not show quality, but all was savy and neat if you know what I mean.

Then I climbed up up up into the passenger side. Man was it tall and small inside. The owner at 6'4" barely fit, good thing I am only 5'8". The noise and diesel smell immediately hit me. (I will definitely be doing what Von did to the dog-house on his.) So off we went, me in kind of a state of shock. The owner drove the whole time and never even put it into 6th gear.
(He swears all synchros are good - I beleive him.)
We just tooled around the dirt roads near his house and then went back. When I got back my bored 8 year old was trying his best to get attention by banging rocks on the mog owners house. Ahhrrrgggg! I could hardly concentrate anymore after that. The kids and I left to do some 4wd and look for silver ore at an old mine I know in the area. After finding some silver ore the kids were happy and I started thinking how dumb it was to drive all the way down and not drive the thing. So we go running back to his house only to find he had left to return to Denver. OH WELL.

Since the owner is a Denver local (oil and gas guy), and I know Dennis (from Linden Engineering) who restored the beast, I felt pretty comfortable that the vehicle is as described. Dennis did not even know that the mog was for sale or I was interested. BTW, Dennis is an Englishman and seems like a great bloke. It is good to have his European experience in the area. Besides I know so little about mogs at this point that I am not sure if driving it would have made a difference to me. I have been told it has no problems or issues except that the heater may not work but it never got used either just like the rest of the mog.

Yes, no doubt there could be something wrong with it that I am unaware, but then what used vehicle does not fit that category ? I can't wait to learn about it driving home on the backroads. Soon.

Steve

STEELgod said:
I was curious when I saw the winning bidder name. Pretty sure I recognized it, even with how little I post around here.

Definitely post pictures when you get it home. I can't believe you got it for just 18K!! Did you ask about any problems/issues?

I'm jealous.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, if you end up "growing tired of it," you just let me know!! :)

For the past 10 years, I've been a HUMMER guy. But finally sold my last one to get a more practical pickup. Part of me NEEDS to get into another offroad truck, and I've been drooling over Mogs for years. I almost bought a 406 from Von (or a guy Von knows) instead of the specialized tractor I just bought. But for the time being, the tractor will work out better. Throw in some legal problems with the contractor building our new house . . . . . .sigh. It's gonna be a while til I can throw money at a Mog (unless I want to sacrifice other things).

What kind of motorcycle do you ride?
I've got an 04 BMW GS and an 03 Suzuki DR650.

·
Registered
79 Case 406
408 Posts
Before starting to build a house, I mostly rode Dualsport bikes on the back roads and trails here in CO. Lately riding has taken a back seat. Here is what resides in the garage in the order of use:

99 KLR 650
99 KTM 640 LC4e
76 BMW R90 S
93 Ducati 900 SS
69 Norton 750 Commando Fastback

STEEL - Looks like we have similar bike tastes.

Here where I like to ride. I'll take the mog to a place or two now and then, but the fuel bill is a little higher than the bike's. Pearls of the Colorado Rockies - Dirtbike at Off-Road.com

PS
So you're building too. In my case I'm my contractor. If I thought it would do any good I would sue myself.
So what happened ?

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
STEELgod said:
Surprised no one has been talking about this truck.... .
hmmmm.. there is two threads in here on this very mog. This one makes the third. Does not sound to me like no one is talking about it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice collection of bikes!
And if you've ridden that Pearls trail . . . my hat's off to you. I don't have the stones for trails that look as rough as some of those! I'm just not that comfortable hitting the REALLY rough stuff on 2 wheels.
You'd fit right in over at ADVrider.

As for our house stuff: It's a big mess. The GC hired a sub to do our concrete wall system. The sub REALLY screwed up. We're pushing to have them tear it all down and start over. PM me if you want more details.

I'm sure you've discussed this over in your 406+911 thread, but . . . . what's your plan for the Mog? Camping trips with the kids? Hardcore off-roader?

Best of luck with it. I'm curious to hear about your experiences with the truck.

·
Registered
79 Case 406
408 Posts
Steel,

My plans for the mog are to have a heavy duty snowplow (after this last winter's snow) for the new house in Golden Gate Canyon. Since the mog has wildland fire fighting capability that will also be part of its job. Where the new house is they joke that all the FD does is save foundations. Besides that 160 gallon a minute Honda pump will come in handy combined with my 10,000 gallon buried cistern.
I hope to take it up Kingston Peak Road to 12,000+ or Spring Creek 4 wheeling once in awhile too just for fun. Of course it may be too slow at those altitudes - we'll see.

Advrider you say ? I am famous/notorious over there. But building the house has me on slight hiatus from ADV.

Sorry to here about your building woes. I have not had too many bad ones yet, but my plumber seems to be giving me the run around lately. Hasn't shown up for 10 days now and things are stalled.

SG

STEELgod said:
Nice collection of bikes!
And if you've ridden that Pearls trail . . . my hat's off to you. I don't have the stones for trails that look as rough as some of those! I'm just not that comfortable hitting the REALLY rough stuff on 2 wheels.
You'd fit right in over at ADVrider.

As for our house stuff: It's a big mess. The GC hired a sub to do our concrete wall system. The sub REALLY screwed up. We're pushing to have them tear it all down and start over. PM me if you want more details.

I'm sure you've discussed this over in your 406+911 thread, but . . . . what's your plan for the Mog? Camping trips with the kids? Hardcore off-roader?

Best of luck with it. I'm curious to hear about your experiences with the truck.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,420 Posts
E-steban said:
I hope to take it up Kingston Peak Road to 12,000+ or Spring Creek 4 wheeling once in awhile too just for fun.
When you try that little technical section at the bottom of Spring Creek trail, beware. You will discover that un-ballasted 406's and short, steep downhill drops don't mix well. Fill that water tank and buy some tractor weights for the rear :thumbsup:

·
Registered
79 Case 406
408 Posts
You must mean this section of Spring Creek. Did you ever go up or down that in a 4 wheel vehicle ? My buddy Dan is sitting in the middle of the road which is a solid rock face. The bikes can take the little slot on the lower left but it is still tough. 4wds would have to go over the rock face.

(sorry its bikes and not mogs)

·
Registered
1976 416.163 125HP Doka
256 Posts
Congrats Steve! The mog bug is a powerful one ;) Have a great time driving 'er home.....is it getting hot there in CO.? If so be ready to sweat yer a*% off in the mog....that will be my first "upgrade" AC! ....safe moggin'!
Kennedy
(HW)

·
Registered
79 Case 406
408 Posts
Not hot at the moment. Currently it is gray, overcast and rainy. The mountains over 11,000 feet are still snow packed big time. This is the wetest year ever on the Front Range. Digging the leach field today, it just fills with water and I am on the very top of an 7800 foot hill. By Thursday the weather will probably be perfect for the drive home - 50 to 70 F, partly cloudy with snow covered peaks everywhere.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,420 Posts
E-steban said:
You must mean this section of Spring Creek. Did you ever go up or down that in a 4 wheel vehicle ?
Yes - I did that section in a modified Land Rover about 3 years ago (uphill... :) ) Fun. There were a bunch of Bubba's throwing huge Chevy products at it when we pulled up. I stalled when I first touched the rock face (I drive trucks with gearboxes...) and got a NASCAR grandstand worth of cat calls. Next shot was right up with hardly a fault - they were all strangely silent then and I thought it was best to move on up the hill....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts