Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SEL Astral Silver/Silver blue leather,Michelins,SONY
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must tell you that today I received the M-Benz discs (2) that I ordered from Ebay after spending fruitless hours screwing around with the discs I bought from the M-B Classic Center.
I followed the VERY clear and VERY precise directions and now have the information flowing at the click of a mouse.
I have one observation: why, for the $25 I paid, could not MB have given me a simple one page sheet to tell me how to use their discs, when they knew they were not going to run on a stysem newer than XP. Newer than XP?!! Hell, is anybody still running XP? Ha Ha Ha!
That is all.:surrender:

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL
731 Posts
I must tell you that today I received the M-Benz discs (2) that I ordered from Ebay after spending fruitless hours screwing around with the discs I bought from the M-B Classic Center.
I followed the VERY clear and VERY precise directions and now have the information flowing at the click of a mouse.
I have one observation: why, for the $25 I paid, could not MB have given me a simple one page sheet to tell me how to use their discs, when they knew they were not going to run on a stysem newer than XP. Newer than XP?!! Hell, is anybody still running XP? Ha Ha Ha!
In all fairness, a somewhat significant portion of the world is still running XP. :surrender:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha Ha Ha! Yes, you guys, I know about XP.....was being silly. Actually, I am a fan of XP and have an untouched one ,still sealed, in my desk.
And I want to say that several people here in the forums offered to help me though the MBenz disc thing over the telephone, but I hate to call and hang somebody up on the phone with me for half an hour.
I am VERY happy the "factory" discs work for people. They simply would not for me even though I jiggered my system arouond and played for hours. What I AM saying, is that the ones I got on Ebay came with very clear instructions as to what to do "if that doesn't...." and I was able to quickly get things functional. IF the M-B discs had simply included such instructions I'm sure things would have been fine.
Again, thanks to those guys who offered to help. I am able now to find things and will go back and learn how to load the Herzig index everyone talks about.

·
Registered
1981 300 SD, 1991 Geo Metro 4-door Automatic
487 Posts
Kickin' it old skool...

I'm still running XP. My monitor still uses a...tube! So does my TV. I drive a 31 year old car. I listen to the radio on a 1940 Hallicrafters SX-28. Been with the same woman since 1985.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah, well I regularly listen to a 1939 Atwater Kent console with a Mooley cabinet. I retired my old Hallicrafters and went to a little SONY that is 1" thick, weighs 2 pounds and does the same thing as the Hallicrafters only better. Same woman since 1959. Traded in my 1949 torpedo backed pea green Chevy for a 1952 Triump TR-2.
Old stuff is sometimes good stuff. But I DO like my nice new stainless steel knees! Ha Ha ha! Have fun.

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 1993 S420, 1990 420 SEL, 1985 500SE, 1994 Toyota Supra Aerotop
753 Posts
I have XP too, and still couldn't get the ebay version to work, so I guess it probably depends on a lot of variables.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,771 Posts
Free Manual in the 'Welcome...' announcement / tutorial on top

A link to the for benzworld members freely available MBUSA W126 service manual (disc 1 & 2) has been added to the 'Welcome to the forum' announcement some time ago.
Quick Time may be required.
Cheers

·
Registered
1981 300 SD, 1991 Geo Metro 4-door Automatic
487 Posts
Oh yeah, well I regularly listen to a 1939 Atwater Kent console with a Mooley cabinet.
Funny you should mention that...when I was in high school, early '70s, I used to sometimes visit a friend, in who's living room, next to the couch, was a table with a cloth over it, and a lamp on top. Something I gave little thought to...until one evening, while we were watching a football game. Sitting next to the table, I noticed an AC cord coming out of what I just thought was a storage compartment in the table. Investigating further, I discovered a 1929 vintage Atwater Kent in a Kiel table. No idea if it worked, although since they didn't use electrolytic caps in the power supply, it probably still did. Asked my friend about it...he never realized that old table in the living room was a radio!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw one of those last year, totally and perfectly restored, and it would take your breath away. The price did too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts