Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this example deserves a thread even in the W124 section as its so close and with the M103 stuffed in there too...

Its my fathers car which he's had for 2 years for my sister who is no longer moving to California so the car has to go. I actually helped him buy the car a long time ago after checking it out with him because I knew it was special all the way down to the still perfectly orange cluster dials/meters....

In all honesty, if I had the cash I would have bought it off him (we even talked about this for a number of months, but I just can't afford it with school, my house purchase and already having 2 cars as it is)...so I feel an enthusiast car needs an enthusiast buyer so it goes to a really good home. :crybaby2:

I've driven the car and its much firmer than my wagon, which is in great condition too in both steering, body roll and general firmness. It just "feels" new which is half the reason I feel bad if it goes to a KBB craigslist Joe-Six Pack ya know?

All the common 103 issues we both talked about and they are done. OVP, idle air hoses, everything....

Mercedes-Benz : 190-Series in Mercedes-Benz | eBay Motors

More photos on the listing...

$50 if you find a speck of rust on this thing!

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,717 Posts
Looks like the oil was changed about every 3000 miles as it shows overdose of detergents?
It is beautiful car, but still over 20 years old and no collectible.
When I was selling my collectible Airstream trailer, I started the auction at 99 cents.
Got close to 300 watchers and satisfy price.
I will watch how this one go.
Good luck

·
Registered
1988 "Zender" 300CE Coupe, 2009 Renault Koleos, 2007 Kia Rio Sport
3,189 Posts
I want the pristine valve cover it it will fit my M103 3L !!!

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, not a collectable, but a nice example nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
This is the kind of used car that people should be willing to shell out good money for!
Yep. Will give 100k miles to the right person.

Just an opinion. When anyone won't share their reserve with me, I assume if I do not know them, that they regard their car too highly and usually will not spend time there, I won't bid.

If I were looking, this car could make for an exception because it is sharp. I think sharing price when asked privately increases your chances of more bids, if it is a fair price. The appropriate default assumption on ebay is that seller has a highball viewpoint and won't care how many people waste time in their hope someone will meet the highball. JMO, and not my car :)

·
Registered
91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
8,143 Posts
The guy could at least put up some decent pictures of the car!haha!
Fricking nice car! perfect in town cruiser

·
Registered
2009 ML320 & 1984 190D
229 Posts
Well, thanks for posting it here Ps2cho!

It's my car(or rather is/was my daughters!).
When I showed Ps2cho the photos of the car 2 years ago, he was very firm that I should buy it for her, and it would get the job done.
Those of you who have seen his posts and work will know he knows his stuff...
He has worked hard though, and far exceeded my expectaions and plans that he should be able to do basic stuff and understand his vehicle!

As for the 190 and its listing...
Thanks for the complements, but the truth is that the car was 95% there when I bought it... I just fettled and massaged it into my view of car that I felt would be solid, reliable and safe for a child of mine.
Its not a classic yet... but its a classic in my eyes already, and as the largest engined version of the model, and only second to the mighty 16v, its destined to be collectable in my opinion.

I disagree with your stance on the reserve RHS.. It is fair and not unreasonable, and reflects what I have in the car, and what a car of this quality and condition deserves, not what I deserve.
The fact I choose not to share it with people I don't know is my choice, and not in any way meant to offend or alienate anyone.
I never ask what the reserve is on what I want to buy... I figure out what I want to bid max and bid... if I get outbid, I could not afford it, or undervalued it, or the seller has his price wrong. Simple. Whats the reason you need to know the reserve?

But based on the number of scam artists and low baller who have seen fit to surface, I feel good about it.
Only today, I got an email from a guy who insisted if I took it off Ebay, he would arrive with cash tomorrow... I asked how much cash he was bringing so I would know... he replied the KBB book price... I told him to bid that if he thought that was fair... and he would be the winner...:p
We have had 3 people come to look at the car, and the best comment I heard was the wife of one, to my GF...
She said... "I saw the car on Ebay, and told my husband to read the listing"... she said it took him a while... and when he was done she asked him what he thought.. He replied it was "Interesting"..
She then said to him "Either this guy is a BS expert or he is telling the truth and we should go take a look!".
They came to look... and they agreed that the car was as I described it.

I listed the car how I want to see a car listed... lots of pics and a detailed and honest description... The details are a little excessive in areas... unless you are a Mercedes nut, and need to know....
Good job we don't have any Mercedes Nuts in the family eh? :thumbsup:

I need it out of the garage Kajtec1... I have bigger fish to fry... and you will understand my next picture better than most...
Next project wont fit tho..

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,717 Posts
You will find space for any project if you work on it. Look how I was working on the rear engine on my motorhome. Might not be clear on the picture, but there is old swimming pool there.
I was thinking about polishing SS, but that is never ending job and I still have painted caps, so I wrapped it from this

to this

Coming to auction tactics - when I moved to CA having family of 4 already, we had about 6 suitcases with us. Few months later I bought 4 bedroom house and was buying LOT at local auction studio. Have seen it hundreds of times that occasionally on attractive items the bidders got so hot, that paid for used item more than new one cost at the mall.
I know you set reserve price to protect yourself, but ebay allows listing withdraw 24 hr before auction ends. I played that card once.

·
Registered
1991 300E 4Matic 160k
236 Posts
Just saw the news letter from BW, Ps2cho dad introduce himself , wtf , noooo. I was asking this dude for recommendations and he probably like 18. I rather stick to the old guys like storm tigers and sbaert ,

·
Registered
1991 300E 4Matic 160k
236 Posts
Guess not saw storm tigers new info and he got body kits and shaiit , noooo . I wish I could talk to only old grey hair Mercedes dudes , cyberspace blows ... Ahhhh

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just saw the news letter from BW, Ps2cho dad introduce himself , wtf , noooo. I was asking this dude for recommendations and he probably like 18. I rather stick to the old guys like storm tigers and sbaert ,
I've read your post a number of times and still cannot really understand what you are trying to say....but are you trying to say I am too young to take advice from? :surrender: I'm 23 for what its worth...24 soon...roll on low(er) insurance?

·
Registered
1988 "Zender" 300CE Coupe, 2009 Renault Koleos, 2007 Kia Rio Sport
3,189 Posts
Guess not saw storm tigers new info and he got body kits and shaiit , noooo . I wish I could talk to only old grey hair Mercedes dudes , cyberspace blows ... Ahhhh
Rob my car has had a Zender bodykit since it was reborn by the old greyed haired owner of Car Shine here in Melbourne.
The only thing that changed was the wheels. Every since day one on here HILDE has had her skirts and spoiler.

·
Premium Member
Current, 90 300CE, 92 400E (Sold 95 E320,70 250C, 91 190 2.6, 91 420 SEL, 95 300D, 87 TD)
1,695 Posts
I had the same car and I loved it..drove across the USA from LA to Bell Island Mich.and return the only problem I had was I broke the D. side anti-sway bar bracket. But too small..When I had my 1st girl the rear-facing car seat would not fit. So she had to go:crybaby2:. When I drove it no one could sit in the back:eek: I did drive like a benz though and was a very solid car! I recommend it for shorter people.

·
Registered
2009 ML320 & 1984 190D
229 Posts
OMG Kajtek, thats a stunner!
Do you still have it, I would love to read the story of it please, so pm me or post up a link!

I got what you were saying Rob552... dont judge him on his age buddy... judge him on his input... I am over 50 and he know more about Mercedes W124's and the M103 than I do and I go to HIM for advice!:bowdown:

As stated, he looked over this 190e before I bought it and has advised me on what I should do... The Fuel injection, and ignition work up was right off his DIY blog, and he help me do it... and can confirm the results were bang on. He was the one who suggested I include all the info in the listing so that those who know would know...:)

·
Registered
2009 ML320 & 1984 190D
229 Posts
I recommend it for shorter people.
Yes, it is a nice solid car, as all Mercedes of that era were... but I disagree with your statement about shorter people... I am 6'4" and have the seat nowhere near at the back of its travel. I have driven my 190D to Vegas and back without AC... and I got out without an issue other than feels sticky! My father(Ps2cho's grandfather) has driven my 190D many times and is 6' 7" and 300lb plus, and said he was just fine and found it comfortable, which is more than can be said for other cars he has driven.
Now, if you needed to carry people behind him... that would be a whole other issue!

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
"Whats the reason you need to know the reserve?"

I acknowledge i am a quirky buyer. :)
But, having spent a fair amount of time searching and buying 124s, and filtering out the vast majority of "opportunities" to buy cars that are hidden money pits and or sellers who could care less about wasting my shopping time...

I've learned to filter out certain sellers at a glance. There is loss in those filters, because when you go by percentages, there are a percentage on + and - side.

On average though, car sellers have excessive reserves. So when you invest time looking for a car, mostly, the cars with hidden reserves are time stealers.

If you told me that KBB would buy the car, I would be satisfied, as that gives me a rational way to view your price point...so if I were willing to spend kbb, I would bid.

90% of car reserves are too high, so when shopping, there is much time to be wasted there.

And in this case, I can see reason to make an exception here even if you did not share any reserve hints. While this car is not yet a classic, anyone who loves the model won't see many better chances to own such a nice version. You've stated a good ad, pictured a beautiful car and I would maybe bid regardless, in the classic snipe fashion. :)

·
Registered
2005 E55
785 Posts
Who the F*** are you?

These kind of posts just piss me off!

I have gained invaluable knowledge from ps2cho and his DIY's! Everything he said and wrote was right and i saved so much headache/money.

Stormtigers too. His coupe looks beautiful IMO.

·
Registered
02 E55 AMG, 99 E55 AMG , 2002 Audi ar 2.7T Sold, 2008 Jeep SRT 8 Sold , 2006 TBSS Sold. The Germans
81 Posts
Very Very Nice GLWS ....

·
Registered
2009 ML320 & 1984 190D
229 Posts
Who the F*** are you?

These kind of posts just piss me off!

I have gained invaluable knowledge from ps2cho and his DIY's! Everything he said and wrote was right and i saved so much headache/money.

Stormtigers too. His coupe looks beautiful IMO.
Steady there Visal!
I took no offence at the verbage... these days none of us know who is trying to post from a Cellphone or in a langauge that is not their mother tongue...
Its all good, and regardless, I think he was being humorous in his comment!

Good for you RHW, for being quirky...
We were were not all Quirky... we would drive Honda bean cans and be happy...
I am a quirky seller... if you could not tell from the listing!

The good news is that the 3 possible buyers who have been to see the car have been impressed.
I had a good giggle at one couple who came...
The Wife was chatting to my Girlfriend while the husband and I went thru the car together...
It seems the wife found the car on Ebay, and told her husband(An Engineer) to read the listing... after he read it, she asked him what he thought... "Interesting.." was the reply...
She then turned to him and said "Either this guy is a BS expert or very honest and knowledgable!"
My Girlfriend laughed and looked at her and asked what she thought now having met me and seen the car..
"Stunning Car, and as described!" was the reply...
:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts