·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
You're right, no restriction in Mercedes systems.

Installation of this will cause all kinds of warranty problems at your dealer ... meaning the damage this system will WITHOUT DOUBT cause won't be covered.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I don't really agree with ya on the warranty concerns...unless there is some kind of damage done directly attributed to the intake itself they can't just void your warranty for putting an intake on. Magnuson Moss Warranty Act ensures that. Normally the only damage that can occur is from an over-oiled filters that can mess up the meter. So, if you screw up and over oil it, you eat the bill to clean that meter.

I've used aftermarket intakes on everything from Kias, Chevys, Fords, Cadillacs and Acura's. I've never tried one on a Mercedes (other than using Green Air Filters on my CL's) since most of the aftermarket companies want thousands of dollars for a simple intake system since the word "Mercedes" is included. But, like I said....they seem to be hit and miss depending on the kind of car, but I've had better luck with V8's. :dunno:

Still debating getting this one....the mod bug is biting again! :help:

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
IMHO too much garage engineering in these aftermarket intakes. The perception of greater power is largely due to increased intake noise.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
Yes, biggest nothing-for-the-buck hype in the automotive world--followed closely by "cat-back exhaust."

Best for those that fix their cars in the Pep Boys parking lot by hitting the carburetor with a hammer.

Kind of like talking astrology at the Mt. Palomar Observatory.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only car I've modded is my honda accord, its a 4cyl and it has responded very positively to the short ram intake I installed. I agree with you guys the performance increase isn't anything too amazing, but there are noticeable differences.

1) My gas mileage has improved, the stock intake was quite restrictive and had several bends in it that hampered smooth airflow (went up about 10%). 2) Throttle response increased since the engine was able to suck in air easier/quicker through the more straight forward piping and the higher air flow cone filter. 3) I noticed bottom end acceleration was increased very slightly, this would probably vary depending on the particular engine in context.

Also I ended up buying my intake from ebay for only $30, compared to the bigger brands trying to sell me theirs for 100s. Its just a metal pipe, probably the least technical piece of equipment in the car, the ebay intakes work great as long as the fitment is correct. I'd recommend buying a filter from a reputable company however.

Anyways, sorry for the very long post but I thought I'd just share my experience. I drive an accord, as I'm only 19 haha. The ML is my father's, I'm just trying to learn about this vehicle and the honda forums helped me out a ton with my car so I thought I'd check out a benz forum for his truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts