Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1980 450SL
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I haven't posted here much, but I have gotten a lot of great information - THANKS
:)

I bought a '80 450sl several months ago for a restoration project this winter, but it is in such great shape I am going to leave it in original shape.
It runs pretty smooth now that I have all the vacuum leaks fixed.
It is pretty doggy, but I think my cats. are stopped up. I have a complete new 1974 exhaust system to be put on soon. Should help.
I was going to put on new timing chain and guides the winter (126K miles), but after checking this new engine out, I am tempted to detail my engine compartment and drop this ebay find in.

A couple of weeks ago on eBay I bought a rebuild 450sl engine, kind of a shot in the dark, but the pictures looked good and it appeared to have many new parts. It had been rebuild a few years ago, crated and stored - turned out it was not used. I was the only bid on it.
Uncrated it today and mounted on a stand to check out. Wow, much better than I expected. Almost ALL parts are new:
injectors
all rubber parts and gaskets
AC compressor
plugs, wires & distributor parts
water pump
pulleys
Opened up valve covers and it has NEW cams, sprockets, chain guides, chain, springs.
This thing has really been nicely detailed! They even had precut pieces of vacuum hose labeled to be put on.
I think from the air cleaner it was a 1979- Does that look right?

Sorry, Cell phone pictures aren't great, and it is a little dusty, but I am really happy with it!
Any suggestions are welcome!

This is a HEAVY engine, put on a cheap maxtool stand that was supposed to be 2000lb cap - it folded like tinfoil, I had to reinforce it and add braces to the engine mounts.

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,357 Posts
An excellent find. Are the valve covers painted?

·
Registered
1980 450SL
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manifolds, valve covers, brackets are powder coated.
Whoever did this engine spent some bucks and time on it.

Got it for $580

1 - 5 of 5 Posts