·
Registered
3,824 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
I resemble that remark

Well its a NY car, so rust shouldn't be an issue...:rolleyes:
Your right to peg salt belt cars as rust magnets in general, and I think an older 4-Matic like this one had to have driven on salty roads, but many owners of cars in the salt states keep their cars in the garage until the spring rains wash away the remnants of salt.

I own 6 older Mercedes now, and not a single one of them was ever exposed to a salty road. 4 came from CA, and 2 came from FL-SC or FL-TX. My 94 Pathfinder is the sacrificial snow/salt vehicle, and when it gets too rusty to fix, I'll get another one from down south to replace it.

Anyway, I would imagine there are thousands of Mercedes owners living in the salt belts, that keep their cars off the road in winter.

But many benz owners do drive them every day, and after years of salt exposure you can tell easily enough.

There is a 500E owner near me that has been driving his 500E around as a DD for over 15 years, in all weather, and is now an absolute rust bucket. The indie I go to just shakes his head and none of can understand why anyone would do this to a rare car.

Anyway, back on topic, this 4-Matic is way over priced. If anyone wanted some feedback on it, it's located about 15 miles or so from me.

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Definition of Upstate

@Aero I Where about in Upstate are you (if you don't mind sharing)?
That's a great question, and a matter of point of view. In the true sense of Upstate, to people who actually live upstate, I am downstate.

I live in the mid-Hudson valley, close to the Hudson River, and about 70 miles directly north of NY City. I grew up here and one of the traits of folks living in the Mid-Hudson Valley, is to say that we are "Upstate", trying to separate ourselves from being considered NY City dwellers.

You have probably ran into this yourself when you travel abroad, when you tell someone your from NY, they automatically think your from NY City, and it used to be far from the truth.

Today, many former NY City people have moved up into our valley to escape the metro living, but they still commute back down there for work.

A few years back NY City established Orange County as the farthermost county in NY a city employee could live, and Orange County has the biggest increase in population shifts of the entire state. I live in southern Ulster county, and have to drive into the heart of Orange county to go to work each day. So we live on the fringe of the northward expansion, but it is slowly heading our way.

With the NY City folks moving up here, everything is changing, the amount of traffic on our roads has increased dramatically in the last several years. My once 15 - 20 minute drive to work, is now a 45 minute commute, with all the tail-gaters, horn blowers and road rage stuff we never had before.

So in real terms, looking at a map, I live down-state. But us native Hudson Valley people still like to think of ourselves as not part of the rat-race that NYC is. Unfortunately we are part of it now, even though many don't want to admit it.

Fortunately, my wife and I have a house on a country road that is surrounded by a very large Orchard farm, that has been granted special tax status as a forever farm, so no NY city developers will be surrounding us with hundreds of new homes in my lifetime.

With this in mind, I think I'll head over to my user CP and change the location.. LOL

·
Registered
728 Posts
@Aero I I understand completely! I run into that scenario quite frequently when asked where I live. There is Upstate and then there is True Upstate or Central NY or Western. :)

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
ROFL

In keeping with your comments, Aero, I decided to change my location statement as well.
LOL, too funny... you got me there, I was about to say I was born in Oklahoma, but it seems you have a dim view of those folks as well...lol

Anyway, we're on the same page more or less...

BTW, I just purchased a 500E from the Dallas area, they picked it up yesterday, and it's headed to Yankee country as we speak.

Sorry to be raiding your neck of the woods for rust free Merc's, but the 500E will be garaged, where it wasn't in Cross Roads. No rust, but the paint got cooked.

BTW, how's the tornado's treating your neck of the woods these days, hope your area stays safe... Aero I

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Your Turn

@Aero I I understand completely! I run into that scenario quite frequently when asked where I live. There is Upstate and then there is True Upstate or Central NY or Western. :)
OK, what version of "Upstate" are you? :laugh

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Sorry to get back to topic, but this guy sure is funny...

He has been running several ads for past few weeks. Started from 2500 and even came down to $1500 at some point. Here's one of the older ads.

1988 Mercedes-Benz 300 CE - Great Running Car - Low Milage

I'm selling my 1988 Mercedes Benz 300ce.

Its a V8. Great Car - Runs Great! Hate to let it go $2,000. Come get it today. Won't last long

$2,000 - Cash Only - Call or Text me anytime - show contact info (I'm Local)
So... Since it hasn't sold, he decided to triple, and then some, the price to sell it faster. :thumbsup:

1988 Mercedes-Benz 300 CE - Great Running Car - Low Milage

·
Premium Member
10,058 Posts
If we're talking about the same 4Matic wagon I saw in the ad.....with that mileage, it's highly conceivable that the original TC is still in the car. If that's the case it's most likely going out(inner aluminum piston & seal) and in which case....the buyer is doomed to find a factory reman at a JY, buy new from a dealer for $5,000+ or have Sun Valley reman it for $1,000.

In any of those above scenarios, the buyer needs to get the car for around $500...due to what lies ahead. The trouble light on in a 4Matic with that mileage is a VERY bad sign. Only a delusional idiot would try to sell a 4Matic wagon with the trouble light on, for more than $1,500.

Areo...you have my permission to go publicly cane him.

Kevin

·
Registered
44 Posts
My '94 E320 Wagon is not listed anywhere yet, but it could be. And best case would be going to the home of an aficionado. Bought itthe summer of '09 off of ebay with 231,xxx miles on it. Flew down south, looked it over, got in and drove home. Car spent most of it's life outside of the rustbelt, until I brought it to Illinois. Drove it through several winters, but parked it for several while I had a company car. Tranny went out last summer at 28x,xxx miles, rolled it into the garage, with good intentions. Usual time/money issues preclude calling Sun transmission and ordering up a new tranny. And in the meantime I picked up a '91 300E with only 178k. Meanwhile I look at the wagon and see an extremely solid car, in and out. A little paint bubbling in a few places, but otherwise pretty clean. Engine starts everytime, looked new on the cylinder walls when the head gasket was changed several years ago. Was just looking for a car for the wife, and Chysler era Mercs with half the miles all seem to be falling apart on the fit and finish side compared to mine. On the fence as to best next move and looking for opinions, sell it, what's it worth? Part it out, worth the trouble?.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Azurite Blue

Looks like a decent unmolested wagon. Wonder how high the price will go?

Mercedes Benz E Class 320E Station Wagon | eBay
Rare color, don't see paint code 366 on many Benz.. and with the low mileage it's a real looker for someone.

I'd paint the cladding same as the top, and put on a nice set wheels, AMG Mono II wheels would look nice... a sharp estate this will make for some one.. I wonder how high the reserve is set..

Assuming the mechanics and electrics are maintained, this would be the one to pay a little extra to get. nice find...

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Pictures and details?

My '94 E320 Wagon is not listed anywhere yet, but it could be. And best case would be going to the home of an aficionado. Bought it the summer of '09 off of ebay with 231,xxx miles on it. Flew down south, looked it over, got in and drove home. Car spent most of it's life outside of the rustbelt, until I brought it to Illinois. Drove it through several winters, but parked it for several while I had a company car. Tranny went out last summer at 28x,xxx miles, rolled it into the garage, with good intentions. Usual time/money issues preclude calling Sun transmission and ordering up a new tranny. And in the meantime I picked up a '91 300E with only 178k. Meanwhile I look at the wagon and see an extremely solid car, in and out. A little paint bubbling in a few places, but otherwise pretty clean. Engine starts every time, looked new on the cylinder walls when the head gasket was changed several years ago. Was just looking for a car for the wife, and Chysler era Mercs with half the miles all seem to be falling apart on the fit and finish side compared to mine. On the fence as to best next move and looking for opinions, sell it, what's it worth? Part it out, worth the trouble?.
Wouldn't hurt to throw some picture up in another thread in the General 124 forum, and explain more about what it needs. I doubt you'll get interest until you do.

You'll have to sell it more, the high mileage, bad tranny, driven in the snow, and rust bubbles are all red flags and your honesty is applauded. But you need to compensate by selling the positive points of why this estate should have money spent on it to bring it back. Pictures of the under carriage to show the lack of rust, pictures of the rust bubbles to show they don't require metal replacement. General condition of the paint and interior, etc.

If the car really is that solid, and you like it, why not put another $4K into it and keep it yourself? The hard part for someone else is to know they need to invest $4K after they buy it from you. There is a E500E owner on the 500Eboard who is pushing 600K while keeping it in top shape, you can do the same.

Questions for a 94 model from me would be about the classic failures all the 94's have:

Tranny replaced yet?
All 3 engine harnesses been replaced yet?
how many miles ago since the last head gasket replacement
A/C Evaporator been replaced yet, and the vacuum pods?
A/C compressor been replaced?
Suspension, when last updated?
Maybe other things specific to estates I haven't a clue about

Good Luck, whatever you do...

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Spotted this but...? Mercedes Benz Twin Turbo AMG

Mercedes Benz Twin Turbo AMG

The listing says it's a W202 with an M104.

Mercedes Benz Twin Turbo AMG

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
So much fail in that ad... One mistake? Fine. Several mistakes on different facts? Seriously, dude...?

Car looks pretty good, though.

1721 - 1740 of 2366 Posts
About this Discussion
2.4K Replies
204 Participants
Jayare
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing