Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1994 C280
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I know I have to keep the oil level between the min and max band on the dipstick, but how far oil wise is it from min to max, ie when its at min. how much oil is it really short? Other car brands have some line that may say 'add 1 qt.' but I am not expecting this to carry over to the Benz dipstick. Any info/comments/thoughts are welcome. Thanks and Merry Christmas

2.6_Steve

·
Registered
1993 190e-2.3
765 Posts
Hey Steve, one nutty thing I do is...after an oil change is to put one quart less in. Then the next morning I check the oil and see where 1 quart low really is on the stick.
Then add the final quart and see where the Max level is.
This way you won't overfill it, if you really know where 1 Quart down truely is.
My Oil Warning Light goes on around 1.5 quarts low. And that only starts to come on going up or down steep hills.

My dipstick broke about 2 years ago and the new one reads slightly different. The Minimum level on my old stick was not at a level that would set off my Low oil light.
The new sticks Minimum level will trigger the low oil light.

·
Registered
1994 C280
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I often times did just that

Hey Steve, one nutty thing I do is...after an oil change is to put one quart less in.
Interesting, seems word on the street is that its 2.1 quarts from min to max so at the halfway mark would be about a quart, I was kind of noticing this since whenever I would add a qt. it only ended up reading halfway up the stick, since most dipsticks I have seen (from US brand cars but you get the idea) always invariably say 'add One Quart' at the lowest mark. This puts me at ease actually since whenever I would add a full quart only to see it read halfway always got me thinking it was way under if a full qt. only made it partway up the stick like that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts