Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML430 - Second Owner - 210,00- miles
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have really enjoyed all the great info on this forum. I am the owner of a 1999 ML430 (early production...it matters). This is my second Mercedes...first was a really fine 300TE....wish I still had one.

Anyway, I am pretty good with the DIY stuff. Over the four years we have owned it, I have been able to replace brake pad,rotors,waterpump,radiator,belt tensioner,crank position sensor, starter,fixed a heated air blend door malfunction and a few other minor things with ease thanks to all of you. Thanks!

Now the latest. I have been wrestling with the dreaded BAS/ETS/ESP indicator lights and did indeed think I had it whipped when, today, I replaced the brake pedal brake light switch. All lights went out! However, after driving for a few miles the cruise kicked off. I was a little surprised. In looking for horses, not zebras, I checked to see if the brake lights were on. Yes, they were. So, the new switch is slightly out of adjustment....I can pull up on the brake pedal and it does not even move a 1/64 of an inch, but the light then goes off.

Finally, my question.....is there a way to adjust the pedal or the switch? Or, do I just have a bad switch? I have searched the forum(s) and cannot find anything like this....could be missing it though. BTW, all dash light have stayed off so far.

Thanks everyone.

Jim

·
Registered
2004 ML350
381 Posts
I have really enjoyed all the great info on this forum. I am the owner of a 1999 ML430 (early production...it matters). This is my second Mercedes...first was a really fine 300TE....wish I still had one.

Anyway, I am pretty good with the DIY stuff. Over the four years we have owned it, I have been able to replace brake pad,rotors,waterpump,radiator,belt tensioner,crank position sensor, starter,fixed a heated air blend door malfunction and a few other minor things with ease thanks to all of you. Thanks!

Now the latest. I have been wrestling with the dreaded BAS/ETS/ESP indicator lights and did indeed think I had it whipped when, today, I replaced the brake pedal brake light switch. All lights went out! However, after driving for a few miles the cruise kicked off. I was a little surprised. In looking for horses, not zebras, I checked to see if the brake lights were on. Yes, they were. So, the new switch is slightly out of adjustment....I can pull up on the brake pedal and it does not even move a 1/64 of an inch, but the light then goes off.

Finally, my question.....is there a way to adjust the pedal or the switch? Or, do I just have a bad switch? I have searched the forum(s) and cannot find anything like this....could be missing it though. BTW, all dash light have stayed off so far.

Thanks everyone.

Jim
There is a recall on the brake light switch just take it to do the dealer and it was about the cruise control

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,405 Posts
If you didn't buy your ML from an MB dealer you won't have received the recall notice. You are still entitled to a free brake switch replacement. Book it in at a dealer who offers a free lunch & car wash.

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,744 Posts
Is this a recent recall for the brake light switch on early 163's ?

I had my 99 ML430 at the dealer a couple of months ago to have the headlights aimed and they did not mention the recall, plus I did not receive a recall notice in the mail.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,405 Posts
The recall notice, dated 13-Mar-2012, says vehicles in the affected range were produced between Aug-99 and Jun-04. Check your build date to see if yours is included. (Please don't ask how)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this a recent recall for the brake light switch on early 163's ?

I had my 99 ML430 at the dealer a couple of months ago to have the headlights aimed and they did not mention the recall, plus I did not receive a recall notice in the mail.
Does not look like the recall mentioned here applies to my, or any other '99 model year.....darn. Also, I did indeed purchase a new switch and installed per the instructions.......so, now, I guess it is up to me to try to adjust the actuation of the new switch (somehow), or just buy a new switch again........All the experts out there agree?

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,744 Posts
You would think the dealer would have a mechanic on-hand to answer if the switch itself is adjustable.

Be careful if you try to return the switch. Many dealers/auto part stores will not accept electrical items if they have been installed.

·
Registered
1999 Ml430
351 Posts
No recall on my 99..
What do you mean with "adjust the actuation of the new switch "... it's a simple switch that snaps out and the new one in

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ML430 brake pedal stop light switch

Ok.....I got it fixed!

Actually 43sqd provided the tip I needed with the attached PDF in their post.

Here's the scoop; The switch is adjustable.....SELF adjustable.....therefore, it is critical to pull the plunger/actuating arm out all the way (just like the installation instructions posted indicate) There are indents on the plunger, that as you push in on the plunger, click and lock the plunger in place at the proper position....done by letting the brake pedal arm push against it.

I must have inadvertently push in the plunger while installing. I took the switch back off, pulled the plunger all the way out, and CAREFULLY locked it back in place before letting the brake pedal arm make contact with it. After doing that, it works perfectly and all dash lights still off.

So there you have it. You helped me again, thanks!

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts