Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wish I could take credit for this idea but it came from a thread on the Classic Z Car Club interior forum.
Photo 1 is a classic example of a 107 dash, I'm sure you can relate.
Photo 2 is crack with edges glued down.
Photo 3 is final coat of crack filler (I got mine from Eastwood, lots of others)
Photo 4 is area guide coated to check all OK
Photo 5 is dash masked to spray.
Photo 6 is crack that appeared from handling the dash. This area is as thin
and brittle as parchment.
Photo 7 is crack prepped. Was filled same as the other.
Photo 8 and 9 are the finished product after spraying.
After filling, my process was to clean the entire dash with PPG wax and grease remover then spray a coat of PPG plastic adhesion promoter. Per the Z car folks the final coat was spray on bedliner. I know it sounds wierd but the results speak for themselves. Hopefully the coating will add some strength to the surface. Another 107 owner might spot the difference in texture but I can live with that. As for longevity the original thread started in 2006 and the current owner posted in 2009 to say it was great. I have a total of $20.00 and 6 hours invested, of course the dash was already out. Go to the Z club site and read the whole thread. Have fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Looks good, and when you think of it, the bedliner doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Sadly, I'm too lazy to remove the dash from the dar. :(

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
If I could easily remove the windshield, I'm pretty sure I could have repaired my dash in-place. Problem is, this is a much more difficult and risky windshield to replace than that on a modern car.

Something to consider might be to do this when having a windshield replaced. The logistics might be tricky.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Great job. I'm doing a similar process without removing the dash. The first coat of paint showed up some rough spots that I'll refinish and repaint. Very inexpensive and satisfying work indeed!

·
Registered
820 Posts
If I could easily remove the windshield, I'm pretty sure I could have repaired my dash in-place. Problem is, this is a much more difficult and risky windshield to replace than that on a modern car.

Something to consider might be to do this when having a windshield replaced. The logistics might be tricky.
Am curious. Why do you say it difficult to replace windshield on W126? What makes it any different than a normal windshielf replace?:)

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Am curious. Why do you say it difficult to replace windshield on W126? What makes it any different than a normal windshielf replace?:)
Well, on an SL (W107), it's bonded in, and you have to take off the brightwork, and this involves weatherstrip and very hard to install screws. It's almost impossible to remove the brightwork without damaging at least a piece or two (particularly the corner pieces). Then, there is the matter of the bonding rubber itself.

I've seen pro's pop out a gasket-mounted window outdoors from a modern car in 5 minutes, and then install the new one in ten. It takes them longer to clean the new windshield, really.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello 107merc,

Excellent work !!!
Do I need to remove the dash out of the car, when repairing ?
I have cracks like the pic.
I am also curious with that. My two tiny cracks just happend due to weather condition I assume.

But how to fix cracks? Mine are tiny but they will grow I assume.
otherwise my dash etc are in 100% excellent condition; red color.
what to do?

thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
I am also curious with that. My two tiny cracks just happend due to weather condition I assume.

But how to fix cracks? Mine are tiny but they will grow I assume.
otherwise my dash etc are in 100% excellent condition; red color.
what to do?

thanks
Hello MBSL560, my friend,
THX for your reply.

1st time I found the little crack 3 years ago.
And it grew up like the pic. Let's consult about the cracks with INABA-SAN,
our carcraftsman,some day.
When I saw your upholsteris, I was surprised the beautifulness !!

See you

·
Registered
33 Posts
hi ken :)

yeah, the car is in the best shape, but the two tiny cracks appeared just now and I assume it could also be from the cold AC which blows close to the cracks.
i always put some stuff on it to protect it but I guess it is not enough

i will show it to inaba-san

·
Registered
740 Posts
I had a very small crack and I did as follows:

1. clean area thoroughly
2. Mask crack
3. Fill with some transparent -->flexible<-- glue.
4. Use round toothpick to ensure proper filling, shape it and level it.
5. Once dry, use one of those cloth pens of the right color (mine is black) and it is indistinguishable.

Only for very small cracks though.

Fantastic post though!

·
Registered
255 Posts
hi ken :)

yeah, the car is in the best shape, but the two tiny cracks appeared just now and I assume it could also be from the cold AC which blows close to the cracks.
i always put some stuff on it to protect it but I guess it is not enough

i will show it to inaba-san
I hope INABA-SAN (our craftsman) make your car much, more much better.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Need to qualify my original post slightly. It was the windshield that was already out, took 6 hours to remove and repair the dash which I was already going to remove to repair the heater box. I don't think I would attempt it inplace.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a very small crack and I did as follows:

1. clean area thoroughly
2. Mask crack
3. Fill with some transparent -->flexible<-- glue.
4. Use round toothpick to ensure proper filling, shape it and level it.
5. Once dry, use one of those cloth pens of the right color (mine is black) and it is indistinguishable.

Only for very small cracks though.

Fantastic post though!

THANK YOU. I will see how far I come. Have to see what u mean by all that explanation :) Mask crack? hmmmm. I guess I know what u mean .
thanks!

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Help - dash board crisis

and it's self inflicted! Seriously how big of a deal is it to take the dash out? I just bought one of those caps and had it covered with a premium leather - and I hate it. I'm sure they put tons of glue to secure it - so I'm probably screwed. I guess I have to have them rip it off somehow, take the dash out and start over.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts