Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
W140
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was recently the passenger in a car (we were in a Toyota Tercel) accident in a car that had no passenger airbag. The impact was with another vehicle (Ford Focus), who was stopped, while we were moving about 40, maybe 50 km/h upon impact TOPS. I have been in quite a few accidents, but only minor bumps, scrapes, or hits (I guess drivers like hitting me?), so I don't really know what a collision at that speed should feel like. Either way I was fine.

All I know is the car is known to be rather unsafe, and since it had no passenger airbag, I'm not sure how well I would have fared if I wasn't braced for the impact, or if it was at any higher speeds.

That being said, I'll get on to my point. My W140 600 doesn't have a passenger air bag, and while I understand that W140s are considered safe cars, I would love to have an airbag for the passenger as I will often drive my brother, mom, etc. around and I would not want anyone to get hurt, or God forbid anything worse. I could be the safest driver on the road, but accidents will always happen.

How difficult would a retrofit for an airbag be? I read a thread about someone installing an airbag on a W124 and, while s/he insisted it was "as simple as taking apart legos", it was also very time consuming, and there were a million pieces. Would it be worth it to do myself? Could I get it done professionally, and how much would that cost (a good job, I want it to work safely and I want the wood panels and dash components to line up as usual)?

Perhaps it isn't financially viable, but what happened to me was not a fun experience, especially not having an airbag. Safety is always number one and I don't want anyone getting hurt. There aren't very many V12 W140s around, so I'm not interested in selling it and buying a post facelift one.

If anyone could shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
84 500 SEL ...94 S420..... 95 S500.... 96 S500 95 S600
1,707 Posts
Hi all,

I was recently the passenger in a car (we were in a Toyota Tercel) accident in a car that had no passenger airbag. The impact was with another vehicle (Ford Focus), who was stopped, while we were moving about 40, maybe 50 km/h upon impact TOPS. I have been in quite a few accidents, but only minor bumps, scrapes, or hits (I guess drivers like hitting me?), so I don't really know what a collision at that speed should feel like. Either way I was fine.

All I know is the car is known to be rather unsafe, and since it had no passenger airbag, I'm not sure how well I would have fared if I wasn't braced for the impact, or if it was at any higher speeds.

That being said, I'll get on to my point. My W140 600 doesn't have a passenger air bag, and while I understand that W140s are considered safe cars, I would love to have an airbag for the passenger as I will often drive my brother, mom, etc. around and I would not want anyone to get hurt, or God forbid anything worse. I could be the safest driver on the road, but accidents will always happen.

How difficult would a retrofit for an airbag be? I read a thread about someone installing an airbag on a W124 and, while s/he insisted it was "as simple as taking apart legos", it was also very time consuming, and there were a million pieces. Would it be worth it to do myself? Could I get it done professionally, and how much would that cost (a good job, I want it to work safely and I want the wood panels and dash components to line up as usual)?

Perhaps it isn't financially viable, but what happened to me was not a fun experience, especially not having an airbag. Safety is always number one and I don't want anyone getting hurt. There aren't very many V12 W140s around, so I'm not interested in selling it and buying a post facelift one.

If anyone could shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.
Why do you think your car has no passenger air bag? You cant see it from the front side, its located behind the glove box insert, the dash splits when it goes off..

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
All 140s came with dual airbags, at least in the US beginning in 92. They had a life of 10 years, there was a updated expiration sticker that took it to 15 years which was pasted over the old on the drivers door jam, most dealerships did not do so. That would have taken us to 2007, I have heard nothing since from MB or dealerships. Eddie is correct when it blows it tears out the panel in the dash.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes Benz 300E, 179K, stock, daily driver
1,689 Posts
All 140s came with dual airbags, at least in the US beginning in 92. They had a life of 10 years, there was a updated expiration sticker that took it to 15 years which was pasted over the old on the drivers door jam, most dealerships did not do so. That would have taken us to 2007, I have heard nothing since from MB or dealerships. Eddie is correct when it blows it tears out the panel in the dash.
Yeah what he said and also the W126 had two airbags (front and passanger) as far as I know so it'd be really weird if your w140 didn't have them.

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
827 Posts
Even if it didn't have the airbag it would be as simple as finding a dash with the airbags at the boneyard and the box just forward of the gear selector and a minor wiring job.
Anyway it should say srs on the dash on the passenger side, and if you remove the 4 pushpin clips in the glove box and pull it out you can feel the bag just above it.

sent from my HD2 running Android 4.1

·
Registered
1996 Mercedes-Benz S320L
174 Posts
My car has driver airbag and no passenger airbag and the whole glove box is different, it's bigger and opens all the way down from where the passenger airbag splits the dash when accidents are involved. But my car is a European car.

Edit: it's the 300sel.

·
Premium Member
84 500 SEL ...94 S420..... 95 S500.... 96 S500 95 S600
1,707 Posts
My car has driver airbag and no passenger airbag and the whole glove box is different, it's bigger and opens all the way down from where the passenger airbag splits the dash when accidents are involved. But my car is a European car.

Edit: it's the 300sel.
Please post pictures so we understand how it looks:)

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Benz CL500
456 Posts
I saw that you are listed as living in Syria, I hope that you and your family members are alright. As the others have said, please post a picture of the dash in order to verify that you don't have dual airbags, but in the US it was definitely a standard feature. Stay safe.

·
Registered
W140
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I've researched this and I've seen that most W140s have a passenger air bag, and thus, the glove box is smaller. I have a two shelf glove box where the airbag should be, and it does not say SRS. My car was from Japan. I'll post pictures in about an hour or so, when I get the chance.

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,640 Posts
I think that all S600's have an airbag there ,pretty simple to find out if you have it or not ,see if you have the logo there on the dash ,SRS airbag , just to add an airbag there it would be expensive to add ,consider a helmet or a cusion for the passengers lol .

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,640 Posts
Wow , i cant belive your S600 dosnt have the airbag there ,unless the highly unlikely event that a previous owner changed that panel & took it from a model that didnt have it ,only thing at this point i can suggest until you get that in if you really want that ,start taking the seat ,out at least that passenger on that side wont have flightrestrictions thru the windscreen from the nice long take off from the back seat ,lol .
Adding an airbag, not to sure if you need all of the dashbord or just a piece there where it says "SRS Airbag" with the bag behind it,then the sensors at the front and a module i belive that detects the impact ,maybe some wrecked 140 in your aerea has it with a bit of luck . :thumbsup:

·
Registered
W140
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, it seems like all I would need is the module/piece with the SRS airbag printing on it to fit in there, then plug in sensors/electricity/etc. But I'm sure it's much more complicated than that.

If anyone else has some more insight, or has done the conversion, let me know. But actually, it might not matter since my car was in an accident and may be a write off. But that's another story (I've posted another thread about that).

·
Registered
1994 Mercedes S320 W140
71 Posts
if it doesn't have a passenger airbag it's a 600sel not an S600.
Australian model all had dual from 93 onwards;)

·
W140 Moderator
7,640 Posts
if it doesn't have a passenger airbag it's a 600sel not an S600.
Australian model all had dual from 93 onwards;)
LoL, perfectly right ,we here in australia should have 4 of those airbags even one on the roof & 1 for the pedestrians as well ,for the prices in spare parts etc what we have to pay here .

WWEE12: If you install the bag yourself maybe the result could be like this .Baskin Robbins - Airbag crash - YouTube

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This must be the reason why your car dosnt have one , not sacrificing the passengers comfort .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the other hand i dont envy the passenger in your car in a situation like this consider removing yours as well,lol .

·
Registered
1996 Mercedes-Benz S320L
174 Posts
I saw that you are listed as living in Syria, I hope that you and your family members are alright. As the others have said, please post a picture of the dash in order to verify that you don't have dual airbags, but in the US it was definitely a standard feature. Stay safe.
Yes i live in Syria but I moved to Jordan about a month ago, me and my family members are alright. Thanks for caring.

My glove box is just like what WEE12 has, but the shelf inside my glove box is not wood like WEE12 glove box, maybe because his car is 600sel and mine is 300sel.

Photo0448.jpg

·
Registered
140 600 1991
221 Posts
As you post mix of opinions, I can explain to you how was it going with W140 since the start of production....

In very first years the pasenger airbag was an option. The only thing was, that for engines up to 500 this option was chargeable (eg 1000 Deutsche Marks, let say), and for 600 SE/SEL this option was for free. So you just had to ask to choose the airbag or not.

Why do you opt for no airbag? Imagine that you only use it as a limo, and in fact no passenger sits near the driver = bag not needed. What you get? Much bigger glove box, and no harm to real safety.

I have one of first W140's produced and has no passenger airbag - but this car was purchased by somebody who was not driving the car himself.

mike300sel - yes; wooden ornament on the shelf only in 600 (similar as wooden lines on B pillars, wooden astrahy covers in back doors, and wooden area around the gearshifter)

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
I wouldn't bother retrofitting an air bag. Anyone who says it's easy has not seen the process required to remove the dash from a W140. Any from what I can see you would have to replace the whole dash as the air bag cover is actually fused to the rest of the dash.

The other thing to consider is that air bags actually have a finite life (according to car manufactures) if you believe that or not is up to you but that would necessitate the replacement of both air bags with factory new ones.

I would rather have the storage space in an interior which has hardly any.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts