Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 S350, 06 E320CDI
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of you guys using for a diagnostic scanner on the early cars like 1994? I understand that these are OBD I. I guess I need to find an OBD I tester with one of those round 38 pind Mercedes plugs that can read Mercedes codes.

What is out there that is known to work. I don't want to spend alot, so don't know if I have many choices.

·
Registered
94 S350, 06 E320CDI
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you have used this successfully on an early 140?? Can't you look the codes up in the MB manual?

·
Registered
94 S320 4speed
240 Posts
w140 obd1 scanner

What are some of you guys using for a diagnostic scanner on the early cars like 1994? I understand that these are OBD I. I guess I need to find an OBD I tester with one of those round 38 pind Mercedes plugs that can read Mercedes codes.

What is out there that is known to work. I don't want to spend alot, so don't know if I have many choices.
Where is the plug? Under the hood or steering wheel?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
There really isn't one, at least at a reasonable DIY price point. But the good news is that the home built tester at under $10 is extremely good, and all you will likely ever need for a non-ASR car.

·
Registered
94 S350, 06 E320CDI
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What home built tester?

There really isn't one, at least at a reasonable DIY price point. But the good news is that the home built tester at under $10 is extremely good, and all you will likely ever need for a non-ASR car.

·
Registered
C140 W140 C126 W201 W116 W210 W163 W251 R129 R170 928S 944S GTV6
363 Posts
I am using a MB STAR setup. Went the chinese route and had too many issues, then got my fingers on some OE STAR bits and pieces, made it work with some hardware I had laying around, now just trying to find a nice rolling cabinet (something like the old style BEAR testers had) to mount everything up inside with a touch screen on top :)

Can't beat STAR/WIS...I think you could get a *functioning* chinese knock off for about $700 that will now work on a wide variety of hardware, not only a certain IBM Thinkpad.

--Zax

·
Registered
94 S350, 06 E320CDI
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doesn't the Star scanner only work for the later madel cars?

I am using a MB STAR setup. Went the chinese route and had too many issues, then got my fingers on some OE STAR bits and pieces, made it work with some hardware I had laying around, now just trying to find a nice rolling cabinet (something like the old style BEAR testers had) to mount everything up inside with a touch screen on top :)

Can't beat STAR/WIS...I think you could get a *functioning* chinese knock off for about $700 that will now work on a wide variety of hardware, not only a certain IBM Thinkpad.

--Zax

·
Registered
C140 W140 C126 W201 W116 W210 W163 W251 R129 R170 928S 944S GTV6
363 Posts
I am pretty sure it would work - at least it shows coverage even for the W126 S-Class (among a bunch of other older models), however, I am sure that the functionality is a lot more limited in what kind of data you can get out of it. I even see a difference between my '96 and '99 as for supported systems in the car. The STAR system is probably way overkill for an older model however, as it won't be able to do much else than translating the blink codes into clear text I believe.

--Zax

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Yes, the STAR "Does" work on older vehicles, via the 38 Pin connector... but what it does is revert to the old "HHT" (HandHeldTester) software, so Yes, "Limited" functionality, when compared to the Xentry Compact3 system.

·
Registered
93 600 SEC
31 Posts
flash codes for 600SEC?

Long story short, my car has been giving me headaches for years - just goes into limp mode intermittently. Have spent loads to apparent experts who all said they knew what it was but car still has problem.

So decided to investigate getting my own computer to diagnose it. Best as I can figure, there is no real point buying an expensive computer system for my car, because being OBD1 all it will basically do is count flashes. So if I understand this correctly, I can build a wee led box to flash and just count them myself.

I guess I just need the list of codes to tell me what the flashes mean.

Can anyone tell me if I have this correct, and if so, any help on where I can obtain the list of flash codes and relevant pins for my 93 600SEC RHD would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
CLS350 C219 2006
582 Posts
Long story short, my car has been giving me headaches for years - just goes into limp mode intermittently. Have spent loads to apparent experts who all said they knew what it was but car still has problem.

So decided to investigate getting my own computer to diagnose it. Best as I can figure, there is no real point buying an expensive computer system for my car, because being OBD1 all it will basically do is count flashes. So if I understand this correctly, I can build a wee led box to flash and just count them myself.

I guess I just need the list of codes to tell me what the flashes mean.

Can anyone tell me if I have this correct, and if so, any help on where I can obtain the list of flash codes and relevant pins for my 93 600SEC RHD would be very much appreciated.
Hi,

Look for my postings publish youtube video how to read and reset codes, published here a spreadsheet to translate and track codes with extra info and also sell flash code readers my son build if you can't build one yourself.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1517712-having-difficulty-reading-fault-codes.html#post4125660
Also check a bit further down on page.

PM me if you can find it.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
By all means start with a flash code reader. But there is a level of detail, especially on pin 7 for the EA, that a flash code reader won't access. For cars without ASR you rarely need that level of detail. For cars with ASR and a problem it's sometimes helpful to have. But ASR is all screwed up - it's complex and frail and yet has a primitive diagnostic system - as your shop experience has shown. But the flash code reader is still the place to start. Find the Baum book for the code lists. PM me if you can't find it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts