Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, noticed something interesting recently, and I thought I'd start a thread.

I was playing around with a 1994 W202 instrument cluster recently and found that it is very similar in compatability to an early W140. The Early W202 didn't start right away with the familiar rectangular CAN bus plugs, it had these interesting square plugs, see attachments. I believe it was only for a year or two, then it changed to the CAN design, although by looking at it from the front, it looks similar to the latter.

So this is interesting because before the CAN design, the W140 sensor wiring is the old one-wire-per sensor analog design. So because the W202 has almost the identical pinout to the W140, almost 1 to 1, this means that the W202 was originally designed as the one-wire-per sensor analog design also. Even the sensor specs are the same, fuel sender resistance, speedometer, tachometer signals, etc.

I'm hypothesizing that Mercedes originally designed the W202 based on the W140 design. Similar to how the R129 has so many parallels to the W126 design. So when the C-Class, and the rest of the models, changed in '96 to the CAN design, that was Mercedes deployment of a more consolidated design amongst all models. The W210 started in 1995ish, and I believe it started right away with the CAN design.

I'm sure there is a history thread out there that may confirms this, although I couldn't find it!

Anyhow, so I made an adapter for my '92 W140, and plugged the W202 instrument cluster in to see what would happen, and it actually worked! I think the tach is off because the W202 is a 4-Cyl. Anyhow, I took a YouTube video of my test drive and posted it online :

So this is probably just a useless piece of trivia, but it may be of some interest, because, if the W202 was so similar to the W140, then I wonder how many parts are compatible? You're more likely to find a junked early W202 than a junked early W140 in the wrecking yard! ECUs...???? Hmmmmmm.....

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
Interesting experiment, the 140 does share many components with the 129 all through the years.

The same designer probably did it for the 202

1 - 2 of 2 Posts