Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have an opportunity to develop performance bar similar to the one available for the later and SLS equipped W126's. However, I'd like to get my hands on one of the fittings that connects the end of the bar to the wheel hub. Does anyone have one laying around they don't need? Condition is unimportant; I just need it for fit. Part #11 in the diagram.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never found a definitive answer, but most of the information I have gathered indicates that it is used in everything up until (about) 1987, and all "anti-squat" cars. I believe all SLS cars do not use it. No guaranties, though; I've been wrong before.

·
Registered
396 Posts
MBL560SEC and I both have '87 US 560 SECs with anti-squat and SLS. All 560s have SLS, but late Gen 2 do not have anti-squat.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Shows you what I know... I have neither.

Can anyone give me a reader's digest version of how anti-squat works? I'm concerned there's something about the odd geometry of the sway bar that makes it work, and would need to make sure that capability is duplicated in any replacement bar.

Are you sure all 560s have SLS? I've delivered a lot of bars to folks who said they didn't have SLS, and I thought the 560 was the most common US variant. (Maybe wrong again!)

Oh, just one more thing... (apologies to Colombo) There is a "clamping sleeve" on each of the bolts that attach the bar to the fittings at the wheel hubs. (See part 80e in the illustrations on pages 170 and 171 in section 32-320 of the FSM) It appears that sleeve goes through both the bar and the fitting. If so, the thickness of the bar at that point and the ID of the hole are critical. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

·
3,939 Posts
Is this part only found on Gen I Euros with anti-squat suspensions?
Hi there,

As Drew has pointed out, US cars with SLS & anti-squat use this bar that John is now working on. My 1991 Euro without SLS has anti-squat and uses this bar as well.

If unsure whether or not this proposed bar will work for your application, note the semi-trailing arms. If they are aluminum, this bar is for you.
It is, in my opinion, the best mod one can make to the w126, without sacrificing comfort over the road. The increased roll stiffness is significant, to say the least.

Here are photos of an aluminum anti-squat trailing arm from below, and a detail of how the rear bar attaches. [19mm Dkubus anti-squat bar shown].

IMG_2659.JPG

Rear Bar.jpg

·
3,939 Posts
Hey John,

Have you received the donor stock Mercedes '91 W126 14mm anti-squat bar and mount bushings yet?

I am thinking forward, perhaps you could have some extra W126 bushings copy [19mm bar to body] made up following that general MB pattern adjusted...
Apparently, there are those who have need.... with the earlier offerings.. In addition, the MB locating rings/stops, either welded on during manufacture or some similar applied during installation, going forward will be a great addition.

This is my year-long 19mm observation, ala my Australian dkubus rear bar manufacturing features.

MBL

IMG_0610 RearBar.jpg

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Oh, just one more thing... (apologies to Colombo) There is a "clamping sleeve" on each of the bolts that attach the bar to the fittings at the wheel hubs. (See part 80e in the illustrations on pages 170 and 171 in section 32-320 of the FSM) It appears that sleeve goes through both the bar and the fitting. If so, the thickness of the bar at that point and the ID of the hole are critical. Can anyone confirm or refute this?
Yes the sleeve goes thru both parts and assists in fixing it in place.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the sleeve fit tightly into the ID of the two parts (locking them together)? Or, tightly in one of the parts? Or does the bolt clamp down on the sleeve and not on the bar or fitting? Do you have one you don't need?

·
3,939 Posts
John,

The sleeves fit snugly into the bar, judging by my 2018 photos here.

In addition, the sway bar holes holes are lightly chamfered, as I recall.

As I am sure you surmise and stated earlier, the final bar shape & thickness + hole diameter at the attachment is very important.

I wish I had measured my rear bar dimensions & spacings before offering it to another New England MB enthusiast for probable duplication follow-up last week.

In retrospect, I if I'd sent / delivered my stock 14mm anti-squat bar up to you last year, as we briefly entertained, to quantify as a pattern, it might have been a better idea.

To replicate that 14mm MB offering, in a 19mm shape with welded centering washers I think might be a better design over-all, than what is currently offered [ & unavailable temporarily] elsewhere. The Gen 2 bar to body bushings design might be offered to accommodate the 19mm diameter.. thus using the stock 2 piece Bar to Body mounting/locating brackets.
It seems a really 'elegant' & simple solution I have seen under my car with my 19mm setup.

M

IMG_2981.jpg

·
Registered
337 Posts
i have the sway bar off at the moment if you ned any dimension please let me know i will send you pics with dimensions

1 - 13 of 13 Posts