Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in the NW, I find myself longing for an all-wheel drive vehicle. I've been researching early 90's Audi quattro's and was wondering how well the 4-matics of this time period compare.<br> <br> What is the consensus on the performance and longevity of the 4-matic system ?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
all four wheel drive systems are expensive to repair with german cars. Doesn't matter which make. However, I do own a '90 300E 4MATIC. I recently purchased our Mercedes for my wife. Believe it or not I was also looking at an '93 Audi Quattro. Prices were close in comparison, but remember there is no ride and comfort like a Mercedes-Benz. Problems w/ early 4Matic systems were transfer cases, hydralic units, overvoltage protection relay- ($2500 CDN,$1500,$75). My wife and I live in Alberta , Canada. Yes we get snow. The car is great in bad weather. <br> With Audi there system is full time 4 wheel drive. Mercedes system is a two wheel drive under normal conditions, but the moment the 4matic system recognizes the change in wheel speed frt to rear-the computer sends a signal to the hydralic unit that locks up the rear axle and engages the transfer case to engage the frt wheels. All this is done in less than a second. So smooth that the only indication that poor road are about you is that little warning triangle in the center of the speedometer.<br> Audi's system is engaged all the time. More wear and tear on drive train-uses more fuel to move more parts- The older 4matic systems basicly freewheel when not in use.<br> My 1990 300E 4Matic has 309,000 km and is a 9.5 out of 10...Good luck on you decision

1 - 3 of 3 Posts