Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An option to buy a 300 td has come to the surface... it has been siting for 3 years minimum and the exterior is rust free theres hail damage on the hood but other than that its pretty nice. the seats arent ripped and the dash has small cracks, missing a few assorted wood pieces. Not really too bad otherwise. owner says it runs. I was going to drop in a battery and see if it even turns over but it rained so another day. I know these cars last 400,000 miles + if taken care of and it has 277,000 so far. its 1000 bucks without negotiation so probably 700 with a bit of work. Im graduating high school soon and am looking for a dependable car. It has to get on the highway and make it to college and back occasionally probably 100 miles tops and it has just city driving to do nothing hard on it. Im good with diesels and cars all around so i think if i can get it home and get the old diesel out replace a few things here and there, and some preventative maintenece that i would have a great car, so the question is do or dont?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Get it started up and see how it runs. Don't buy it without driving it unless you can get it for a few hundred bucks. Two quick tests to quickly tell if things are going to be expensive right away:

1) Get it warm and running and do the oil cap test. While the motor is idling, unscrew the oil cap. If it just sits there, that's great. If it bobbles a bit, that's fine. If it really tries to hop of, it indicates a lot of blowby.

2) Drive it and feel how the transmission shifts through the gears. Sharp "thunks" are ok. Big "flares" between gears can be worriesome.

I'd say if the motor and trans are in decent shape, and the car seems to have been taken care of, it could be good transportation. If I found a rust free car that had a decent interior and that passed steps 1 and 2, I'd spend more than $1000 on it. But I'd probably go in and try to get it for $500 just to see what happened. Then be willing to go up.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
These are well engineered cars, but still, almost 30 years old. There will be times when it's down for a week or so, parts can take awhile to arrive and install.

If you can work on it, good, otherwise it can get pricey to have someone else do it.

Other than maintenance, the engine should be fine, it's the other stuff. On a wagon the rear suspension is, um, unusual.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I paid $1000 for my rust free '80 non turbo wagon. It had a few issues Im working thru. Couple windows didnt work, 2nd to 3rd flair in tranny, and rear accumulators. Other than that it ran and drove like a dream....everything is fixed except windows(rainy day project). I test drove it, drove it home after the purchase, and pretty much have driven it everyday.

Long story short, $1000 may seem cheap, but without a test drive I would consider it a parts car and worth half that. You may get lucky and she fires up and drives great:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im going to try to get permission to get it running and driving first then see what happens from there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts