Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to make a purchase and need some help. My dilemma is each car cost around the same. Used E63 or New C63. On the AMG website its rates 0-60 the same at 4.3. My problem is I like bigger cars. I am 205lbs 6"1 and the E class would be roomier. It looks like the E is only 5 inches longer than the C. What do you guys think pros vs cons, and what would you rather get and why. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
208 Posts
That's tough to say, I've driven quite a few of each and both are fun. The C63 has an awesome exhaust note but the E63 has more options. The E has a nicer interior over the other because after all the C63 is still a C class. Don't get me wrong the C63 is awesome and I would take one any day!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The 0 to 60 times quoted by AMG (and by BMW's M) are usually conservative and do not represent the true performance that test these cars are capable of producing. Car & Driver tested the C63 in their December 07' issue and their 0 to 60 time is much quicker: http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/download/60ksports_powertrain.pdf I have personally drag raced an E63 with my C63 completely stock at a stoplight and was a car's length ahead of the E63 at 60 mph. But while quick is nice, there is a major difference between the C63 and E63. The E63 is a much more refined car that is more based on luxury than hardcore performance in my opinion. The E63 feels much larger and more luxurious inside, is quieter and has a much softer ride and handling. Whereas the C63 has an extremely firm ride and more precise handling, as well as sounding like a 60's muscle car under heavy throttle. So I would say that while the C63 or E63 are both very, very fast luxury sedans... the emphasis of the E63 is on it's luxury amenities, refined looks and straight line performance. But the emphasis of the C63 is on it's surly exhaust note, aggressive looks and sports car like performance. All in all, two very different cars... but both are terrific choices as "ultimate" daily drivers. But that's just my $0.02 :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in the market for a new Benz too and took a look at both cars.
While having my car serviced, I decided to take a test drive in both cars back to back.
The E63 was a year old and had more options than the C63 (ie, keyless go, adj. susp., etc.) for about the same price. There are more lux touches in the E63 like the black suede head liner and more wood.
So after driving the two I feel like they were quite different--the E63 is more of a high speed crusier and a bit softer ride. Still very fast from stop and a great car, but I felt like it belongs with an older type of clientel--I'm in my 30's and would say this car is great in my 40's and up. Just my .02!

The C63 was the third one I test drove and I just love the car--the front seats are a bit tight so if you haven't sat in one and drove it for a little while I would encourage it. The fit tight on me and I'm 5'8" 170lbs size 40 jacket. So the E63 may be more comfortable fit for you and you passengers.

With that said, the E63 is an old body style (may bother you or not) and more of a crusier whereas the C63 is really as close to a sports car sedan as you can get. IMO.
The C63 is my choice for all of the reasons above, I need to buy this car already! haha.

BTW the C63 exhaust--hmmmm awesome!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have an E55 and my brother has a C63.

They are 2 completely different cars, and i love them each for different reasons.

What i like better about the E55:
Bigger car, more comfortable seats, more driver leg room, more torque, but it's easy to drive at normal city speeds.

What i like about the C63:
The exhaust note makes people cum on the spot, it's faster than an RS4 & an M3, and it's priced cheaper

I have a tough time finding a comfortable seating position in the new C-Class, which is my ONLY beef with this car.

Also, if you buy the C63, be prepared to spend a lot on speeding tickets, cuz this car will not allow people to drive it at reasonable speeds.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for their opinions, all of you were right on the money. It all boils down on me making a decision. If I can get an E63 for a great deal with low miles, I will go that route if not Im going to get the C63. Either way if I change my mind, Ill sell the car and start over. Im thinking about getting the C63 and then waiting after the new body style change and then getting a used E63.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Tough call --I've driven both on track and own a C63. The C63 is a special car (the Beast) and I would go in that direction unless you really need a family car. The C63 is longer than a regular C Class, but you will find that this is due to body work. It depends on how racey you want to be on a daily basis.

I would not consider acquiring the E63 at this time because of its end of cycle status. You won't be happy the first day after you see a 2010 E Class on the street.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Whether there is enough room for big guys is a relative issue. I am 6'4" 240 lbs and have plenty of room in a C63. I wear a size 46 jacket and did not feel that the seats were too tight. They are performance seats and are supposed to support you laterally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem. Went in to look at a C63 after lots of research and thought I had my mind made up. They then showed me a 07 E63 AMG in the same color, with 8000KM on it. Practically brand new for only 80kCDN, pretty much the same price as the C63.

They offered me a better value on my trade in, 10k more! I guess they sure want that car gone.

The biggest factor in going with the C63 was I like the sport factor more (Its also a tiny bit faster). Secondly, the E63 has a new model coming out next year, it will be pretty out dated once the new model comes out, especially after dropping 80k on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe both engines will eventually produce the same hp and tq numbers, which means the lighter car wins. I think the C63 is about 400 lbs lighter than the E63, and this should give it the advantage from 0 to 60 and in the 1/4 mile. However from a roll, both cars should be almost equal.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The seating is the first big issue, the second is the size overall.

FWIW I am 6'4" and weigh about 260 - so if I can fit comfortably, you will too (very likely). That being said, but I've seen much shorter people have issues - it's about torso versus inseam I figure.

So go sit in one first and foremost - and keep in mind the seat will loosen up a bit after a few fun miles.

Second prob is size. If you are hauling five people every day - go E all the way. I have three kids and when all five of us go out - it's just fine and no bobby pushed me mom, or suzy pulled my hair mom... Everyone is comfy and the car feels great. Would I take it cross country? no way. But an hour drive - not an issue.

Third point, not a problem, is the car. The E will always feel big. There is no way around that. The C still feels big for a sports car, but it handles wonderfully. You will almost feel part of the car (especially with the seat hugs!).

Lastly - new versus used. Who broke in the E? Did they follow proper break in protocol? Was it ever damaged in a way you'll find out in 20k miles? How old do you have to go to get the same price as the C? I'd guess 2 years - that means it's off lease. Frankly people who lease (including this poster) just don't care for their cars as much as when they own them.

Either car will be great though!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is it too big the difference between both new? Because where I live, the E63 costs like a 5% more than the C63.

I would buy the C63, because the exhaust notes are the most beautyful Mercedes has done, and it feels sportier. The C63 is more differentiated from a normal C, than an E63 from a normal E.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
its all preference, if you are tall you are gonna want the leg room, especially if your gonna put people in the back, i have a clk55 and when i put my kids in the back its tight for them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not sure which one to get. Both are fun.

I own a 2007 E63, that is under the Mercedes Certified Warranty. I had a strut go bad, and there aren't any in the world, so Mercedes will have my car sitting in their lot for at least 3 months, while I drive around their loaner car. Kind of sucks, because I miss the acceleration and performance of my car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts