Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 E550
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008E550M
I have ordered the part, did researchers and found nothing. It’s very easy for RWD but at 4Matic, there’s differential and axial shaft limited the space, and, front side is almost no space due to huge V8 engine.
May someone did that and tell me some tricks and tips?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 1988 300TE
5,432 Posts
You need to remove the alternator bolts and tip it on it’s side to swap

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
872 Posts
I would just change the alternator. Maybe it was easier on the pre-facelift but even on the M272 which is the V6, there's no room to do it without removing the alternator. And if you're going to do that, you mind as well replace it. Autozone has it for $228 plus they have a 20% off discount code so it's $182.40. It's the same alternator for the V6. I replaced mine last year. It's a Bosch reman with a lifetime warranty. Got it delivered for free, ordered it at 6pm and it shipped at 9pm and I had it the next day. Places like FCP Euro also have it, but it's more money and for lifetime warranty items, I prefer a local store so you don't have to bother with shipping if/when it goes bad and you need to swap it. Mine had a burnt smell and the bearings were shot. So even if you replace the regulator, the other parts of the alternator will go. Mine went at around 90k or so.

·
Registered
2008 E550
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to remove the alternator bolts and tip it on it’s side to swap
I took alternator off and flipped up, got the job done. If I need take it out, radiator fan should be removed firstly. Installing back alternator is not easy though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts