Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've raced an M5 on the freeway, or other comp roads, who won? My associate bought a Lexus GS430 and tried to take an M5 on teh way to Palm Springs...the M5 devastated the Lexus. Thanks much.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Do people actually race these types of cars on streets and highways? I used to in my Firebird back when I was 20ish, and since then have had a couple Corvettes, but no one has incited me into racing them.<p>Should I expect this type of thing if I get the E55? Is this supposed to help me revisit my youth? : )<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The GS430 is much slower than the E55

The E55 can take on the M5. I have driven both the GS430 and the E55 and there's no comparison!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the M5 is in the right gear...

: If you've raced an M5 on the freeway, or other comp roads, who won? My associate bought a Lexus GS430 and tried to take an M5 on teh way to Palm Springs...the M5 devastated the Lexus. Thanks much.<p>... and the right RPM, I think he has the edge over the E55. In most real-world circumstances, howver, it should be neck and neck. It's that close.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
E55 to 60/80 mph ... then the M5 will pull away ...

<br>-----<p>The E55 should have the advantage over the M5 to 80 mph: <p>1.) E55 has 22 lb\ft more torque than the M5 (391 compared to 379) <p>2.) the E55 is also 256 lbs. lighter than the M5<p>3.) and of course, the M5 has a manual transmission ... the skill level of the driver will also come into play<p>so when it comes to low end pull, the E55 IS quicker. <p>Now, when it comes to a head to head at speeds over 80 mph, the M5 has 51 more horses than the E55 ... so it SHOULD be faster over 80.<p>I've raced a M5 with my '01 E55, on the freeway, dodging slow moving traffic, at speeds ranging from 70 - 120, and the result was dead even. Weather? Driver? Car? I don't know, but the result is a stone-cold fact... Dead even (and I didn't break a sweat clutching and shifting).<p>Go figure.<p>Drew.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read from an Australian magazine that E55 is only around 150lbs heavier??

: <br>-----<p>The E55 should have the advantage over the M5 to 80 mph: <p>1.) E55 has 22 lb\ft more torque than the M5 (391 compared to 379) <p>2.) the E55 is also 256 lbs. lighter than the M5<p>3.) and of course, the M5 has a manual transmission ... the skill level of the driver will also come into play<p>so when it comes to low end pull, the E55 IS quicker. <p>Now, when it comes to a head to head at speeds over 80 mph, the M5 has 51 more horses than the E55 ... so it SHOULD be faster over 80.<p>I've raced a M5 with my '01 E55, on the freeway, dodging slow moving traffic, at speeds ranging from 70 - 120, and the result was dead even. Weather? Driver? Car? I don't know, but the result is a stone-cold fact... Dead even (and I didn't break a sweat clutching and shifting).<p>Go figure.<p>Drew.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Sorry... I meant M5 is 150lbs heavier than E55..

: : <br>-----<p>The E55 should have the advantage over the M5 to 80 mph: <p>1.) E55 has 22 lb\ft more torque than the M5 (391 compared to 379) <p>2.) the E55 is also 256 lbs. lighter than the M5<p>3.) and of course, the M5 has a manual transmission ... the skill level of the driver will also come into play<p>so when it comes to low end pull, the E55 IS quicker. <p>Now, when it comes to a head to head at speeds over 80 mph, the M5 has 51 more horses than the E55 ... so it SHOULD be faster over 80.<p>I've raced a M5 with my '01 E55, on the freeway, dodging slow moving traffic, at speeds ranging from 70 - 120, and the result was dead even. Weather? Driver? Car? I don't know, but the result is a stone-cold fact... Dead even (and I didn't break a sweat clutching and shifting).<p>Go figure.<p>Drew.<p><p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
97 540ia definitely feels heavier than my E55!

I think that's due to the slower steering, less powerful acceleration and braking?<p>I test drove a GS430 the other day and found it quite underpowered too. I think we're getting spoiled by the E55!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My stats (E55 lighter than M5 by 256 lbs.) came from Edmonds

: : : <br>-----<p>The E55 should have the advantage over the M5 to 80 mph: <p>1.) E55 has 22 lb\ft more torque than the M5 (391 compared to 379) <p>2.) the E55 is also 256 lbs. lighter than the M5<p>3.) and of course, the M5 has a manual transmission ... the skill level of the driver will also come into play<p>so when it comes to low end pull, the E55 IS quicker. <p>Now, when it comes to a head to head at speeds over 80 mph, the M5 has 51 more horses than the E55 ... so it SHOULD be faster over 80.<p>I've raced a M5 with my '01 E55, on the freeway, dodging slow moving traffic, at speeds ranging from 70 - 120, and the result was dead even. Weather? Driver? Car? I don't know, but the result is a stone-cold fact... Dead even (and I didn't break a sweat clutching and shifting).<p>Go figure.<p>Drew.<p><p><p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's the great thing about the E55 ... you can be a kid with it when you want to ... other times you can just cruise in style in a machine that looks simply awesome. <p>Most of my challenges come from older (adults) BMW drivers. Usually once per day, and I get to decide which one I want to humiliate, and where. <p>I beg-off more challenges than I accept, but I do like to show what my Beast is capable of from time to time. <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Test drove a GS430 ????

you must have been really bored!<p>E, I had a GS400, and I must say it was an impressive car for the money. However, the only thing I liked about it (besides the lower price tag) over the E55 was the Stereo system (Nakamichi ... absolutely awesome ... you couldn't distort that system at any volume) <p>Yes, we are spoiled by our Beasts ... and so be it: we work hard to afford them!<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lexus=top 10 ugliest cars

I have never paid attention to the performance of the Lexus as I can't get past its looks. I definitely think it is one of the top 10 ugliest cars of all time due to the heinous amounts of chrome, bad E class rip off headlights and general rice burner wanna be and "I must have eaten somme bad turkey when I designed this car" look (I actually thought the old ES300 was a decent looking car). I don't care what the cost differential is between the Mercedes and Lexus as there is no excuse for an ugly car.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the driver of the M5 is good on a 6 sp the M5 WILL win....

I own both, don't foll yourself. The M5 is always a small step ahead. You cannot compare an auto to a 6 spd....you just cannot.<p>I love the effortless thrill of my E55, but the M5 is a better performance machine & it looks better too....<p>B.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where are you located ???

: That's the great thing about the E55 ... you can be a kid with it when you want to ... other times you can just cruise in style in a machine that looks simply awesome. <p>Most of my challenges come from older (adults) BMW drivers. Usually once per day, and I get to decide which one I want to humiliate, and where. <p>I beg-off more challenges than I accept, but I do like to show what my Beast is capable of from time to time. <br><p>Are you serious ? I have raced M5's b4 in my e55 & my c43 ? there is no way an E55 can beat an M5 with a good driver ? The fastes 1/4 I ever pulled out of my E55 is a 13.71...my M5 A consistent 13.21...<p>I mean I know we love our cars , but you must Give BMW ///M respect.<p>The Rivals....AMG & ///M....My .02...love them both...<p>B.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But for some reason I like the acceleration feeling of my 540 cuz there's more back pressing and the

: I think that's due to the slower steering, less powerful acceleration and braking?<p>I test drove a GS430 the other day and found it quite underpowered too. I think we're getting spoiled by the E55!<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GS430 & LS430

Hey I even test drove the LS430 too, it was pretty bad, I got car sick in the back when my friend was driving it. Way too soft suspension.<p>I was just in a friend's GS430 during lunch time and I must agree, the stereo is very good.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More back pressing in the 540i?

Take your E55 back for service, something is wrong as there's no comparison between the two.<p>Even the E55 in winter mode accelerates much harder than a 540i.<p>No comment about engine noise as I prefer quieter cars in general. I generally find BMWs noiser than most Mercedes.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts