Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I just found this site tonight and have booked marked it permanently. Finally I can talk to some other freaks like myself. My wife is starting to think I have some kind of problem. I'm on a first name basis with more than half the techs at the service department because I stop by almost every week to get my car cleaned. I had an 1999 E430 Sport until I could find an E55. I bought it (used) last November from Caliber Motors in Anaheim, CA. They were asking 61,700 for it with 30,000 mi. My E430 had 27K so I was fine with that. Plus, at the time Fletcher Jones had some for $75K and Laguna Niguel had them for $85K. $61 sounded damn fine to me. If this isn't heaven, it's pretty close. <br>
My car is standard silver with black/silver interior. All I have done is tint the windows. I went to CEC in West LA to inquire about Lorinser body parts and a supercharger. They said it's be 12k for the body skirts and 20k for the supercharger. Ouch. How can I talk my wife into this one? Does anybody have any other ideas about some more affordable body upgrades and supercharger systems I can add to get below 4.5s 0-60? The car as is is a dream. But 1/2 to 1 sec faster would be close to a supercar. BTW-don't ya just love smokin' everybody?<br>
Ya can't catch me<br>
I'm the gingerbread man.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Welcome to the Club !!

There aren't much mods really since the car as it is, has a lot of power.<br> <br> You have made the right choice in getting one. The only mods I have made are changing the spring pads.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spring pads

<I>The only mods I have made are changing the spring pads.</I><br> <br> Can you elucidate? I'm interested...<br> <br> Jamie C -- London, UK

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you change the differential gearing you can get better acceleration. Stock gearing is 2.82, if you bump it up to 3.07 or 3.22 (or somewhere around that) you should reach your goal. Beware though, you might lose out on top-end speed. I think the cost of doing this runs about $4,000. If you are interested, I can put you in touch with the proper people.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Spring pads

Spring pads are the rubber holder found on the top of the spring.<br> <br> The have different sizes, the thinnest one being the 1 pt pad which is 5mm I beleive.<br> <br> I had my dealer replace mine to lower the car a bit.<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: E55 tuner questions

Do you mean top end speed with what the car should be able to do (at least 170)? Or, top end speed from where it is now with the stupid chip (155mph)? <br> <br> Any idea of how much better in terms of acceleration? Would it change the shift points? Right now, I see it shifting to second gear about 40 and third gear about 60. I've never pushed it hard enough to know where the shift points are beyond that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts