Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, when last we left our E55, her clutch slipped intermittently while driving at varying speeds. As a result, we got a new clutch pack and upgraded transmission computer programming. For the next few hundred miles the problem went away. At about 17500 miles, the problem crept up again. This week, I brought her into the dealer and we decided to put in a new transmission and shifter. It's not clear what the problem was but it seems that the transmission sometimes can get a bit loose and therefore slips or shifts harshly. I just got it back today and it is driving even smoother than the first day. <br>
<br>
Seems like that I am the only that is experiencing transmission problem across all these boards. Nonetheless, the E55 has been teriffic! I am thinking that its about time to do some minor upgrades. I am going to start off with new springs, lights and emblem.<br>
<br>
I gotta say that the service at Downtown LA Motors was great! There was no hesitation from the dealer and they just went ahead and swapped the whole system out. I am glad they did not try to nickle and dime my fixes.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have the same trouble, although rarely. When the engine is hot, the transmission will get stuck in the 'slush' between gears and slip. This occurs at any engine speed and regardless of throttle position -- i.e. whether I'm going for it or not :) I've noticed it about three times since buying the car.<br> <br> When the car is cold, the gear changes are always on the uncomfortable side of lumpy, however, a minute or so of normal driving and the problem clears up.<br> <br> I'll get it checked in at the supplying dealer in London, and shall use your car to prove that (a) it's just not me imaginging things, and (b) it can clearly be cured.<br> <br> Do you know exactly what they did to put it right?<br> <br> Jamie -- London, UK

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Computer Log Diagnostic

On board there is a computer that logs all abnormal events in your car. They should be able to find the problems in there. It was from this log that my dealers determine to replace the entire transmission, clutch pack and shift kit.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Philguy, sorry about your tranny, but glad to hear that the beast is doing well now. I am curious as to how you perceive the car as having been driven. The car has a whole lotta torque to mash the tranny with. I wonder about the longevity of a manumatic, especially with 391 lb ft at hand. <br> rich<br> '01 black/charcoal

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Terrific since

I am enjoying it more than ever. The shift points are much smoother and the torque is being delivered into the ground as opposed to the trany. Its like a new car.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problems with E55 transmission. Very similar to yours. My 99 E55 sometimes has trouble picking gears especially when the speed is at about 20-30 miles and the pedal is floored to take off! The engine revs and nothing!!! Then after 2-3 seconds it takes off!! Have been to dealer twice, they changed a bunch of stuff and the computer, it was good for 300 to 400 miles!! Back to the same problem. Maybe I should go to Downtown LA Mercedes...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts